2022 August 02 | The Art of Integrity, State of the Voluntary Carbon Markets 2022 Q3
2021 December 01 | CORSIA Carbon Market Data from Ecosystem Marketplace in Partnership with the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
2021 November 10 | Voluntary Carbon Markets Top $1 Billion in 2021, a Special Ecosystem Marketplace COP26 Bulletin
2021 Sept 15 | Markets in Motion, State of the Voluntary Carbon Markets 2021, Installment 1
New report from Ecosystem Marketplace on voluntary carbon markets finds 2021 is on track for annual market value record of $1 Billion+ for the first time, as all-time market value hits $6.7 Billion. Based on growing global network of 172 EM Respondents (13% increase from 2020 of 152), with traded credits from projects located in 80 countries.
In the first eight months of 2021, voluntary carbon markets have already posted a near-60% increase in value from last year, driven by corporate net-zero ambition and growing interest in carbon markets to achieve Paris climate goals.
2021 June 24 | A Green Growth Spurt, State of Forest Carbon Finance 2021
What’s inside? Ecosystem Marketplace’s report, A GreenGrowth Spurt: State of Forest Carbon Finance 2021 (last iteration in 2017), shows that funding to conserve and increase carbon stored in global forests has more than doubled in the last four years. However, forest carbon finance still falls far short of what’s needed to counter deforestation and support increased climate ambition. Get a comprehensive look at how forest carbon finance is shaping the path to net zero, and outlook in 2021 and beyond:
- The past four years have shown a strong upward trajectory for forest carbon finance.
- With recent developments, the sector has nowhere to go but up.
- But if we want to get serious about combatting climate change in the next few decades, we must bolster forest carbon finance’s critical role.
Closing the Carbon Offsets Issuances & Retirements Gap, State of the Carbon Offsets Standards’ Issuances & Retirements, 2021 Quarter 1
We’ve aggregated data derived from standards’ registries, including Verra’s Verified Carbon Standard (VCS), Gold Standard, American Carbon Registry, and Climate Action Reserve, Plan Vivo, and the California Air Resources Board to bring you the latest updates and historical roundup of independent and compliance offsets standards. Download now and stay tuned for the next EM Insights Brief on carbon offset buyers’ data from the 2020 EM Global Carbon Survey to be published at the end of April.
What’s inside? 2021 has already proven to be a landmark year in carbon markets. Our findings show compelling shifts, such as:
- Retirements surpassed issuances in January 2021 for the first time since 2017. The increase was primarily driven by forestry project retirements.
- VCS retirements have more than doubled, Plan Vivo nearly doubled, and Gold Standard increased by 40% compared to Q1 2020.
- Over two-thirds of the world’s issuances in Q1 2021 were located in the United States, India, Turkey, Cambodia, and China.
EM Data Intelligence & Analytics Dashboard
The Public Dashboard (V1.1) and EM Respondent versions are now live.
Hundreds of market participants worldwide and across all project types report confidential details of their carbon credit trades to Ecosystem Marketplace, sending a clear signal that transparency is the key to robust and credible markets.
As an independent and neutral third-party, EM brings credibility and holds the confidence of this global network that has reported tens of thousands of detailed offset transactions to EM.
Additional EM Insights & Past Publications
State of the Voluntary Carbon Markets Reports, 2007-2020
- State of the Voluntary Carbon Markets 2020
- State of the Voluntary Carbon Markets 2019
- Voluntary Carbon Market Insights: 2018 Outlook and First-Quarter Trends
- State of the Voluntary Carbon Markets 2017
- State of the Voluntary Carbon Markets 2016
- State of the Voluntary Carbon Markets 2015
- State of the Voluntary Carbon Markets 2014
- State of the Voluntary Carbon Markets 2013
- State of the Voluntary Carbon Markets 2012
- State of the Voluntary Carbon Markets 2011
- State of the Voluntary Carbon Markets 2010
- State of the Voluntary Carbon Markets 2009
- State of the Voluntary Carbon Markets 2008
- State of the Voluntary Carbon Markets 2007
Additional EM Insights
- 2020 March 10 | CORSIA Analysis: Global Carbon Markets Can More than Meet Civil Aviation Demand
- Corporate Offset Demand Analysis – Buying In: Taking Stock of the Role of Offsets in Corporate Carbon Strategies
Freelance writers are welcome to submit expressions of interest to write for EM News.
If you’d like to be notified of future positions as they are announced, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and, if applicable, examples of writing.
- For up-to-date information on environmental markets, sign up for our newsletters.
- Fact sheet: Producing a Voluntary Carbon Offset
- Fact sheet: Voluntary Carbon Offset Project Types and Categories
- Infographic: CORSIA and the Voluntary Carbon Markets
As an initiative of non-profit Forest Trends, Ecosystem Marketplace’s work would not be possible without generous financial and in-kind support. We are seeking sponsors for our work, including tracking environmental markets, reporting on news, and future editions of this newsletter. Click here to contact us about sponsorship and advertising.
In 2006, Ecosystem Marketplace was initially created to improve transparency and price discovery in the voluntary space, as there is no centralized system for transacting voluntary carbon credits. Since then, our team has annually distributed surveys to our network of project developers, investors, retailers, and brokers to collect confidential information about their voluntary carbon offset market transactions. The resulting reports, provided free of charge, provide all market participants – from small project developers to large corporate buyers to policymakers – a comprehensive view of market conditions.