Title: Associate, Carbon Markets and Corporate Sustainability
Initiative: Ecosystem Marketplace
Reports to: Senior Program Manager
Location: Forest Trends (Main Office), Washington, D.C.
The Ecosystem Marketplace (EM), an initiative of non-profit organization Forest Trends, is seeking an enthusiastic and skilled candidate for a new position as Associate, Carbon Markets and Corporate Sustainability. This position will join a talented EM team working to meet the challenges and opportunities presented by booming voluntary carbon markets, rapid acceleration of corporate net zero commitments, and a global drive to achieve the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals.
EM is in the process of expanding its 15+ years of voluntary carbon market (VCM) data, news, insights, and experience as a unique, globally recognized all-VCM reporting and transparency online platform. In early 2021, the first phase of this project included launching EM’s new Global Carbon Survey online reporting platform and a Data Intelligence & Analytics Dashboard which provide access to more frequent and detailed data on market transactions and information. As an independent and neutral third-party, EM is committed to enhancing price discovery and understanding of supply, demand, and credit quality by fully recognizing ‘beyond carbon social, environmental, and biodiversity co-benefits, which support the rapidly expanding VCM with equity and comprehensiveness.
Roles and Responsibilities (Overview):
The Associate will help implement and grow our range of activities, products, readership, and increase the visibility of EM’s work. This includes surveying and tracking global carbon offset markets, conducting research and analysis, writing for EM Insights, publishing original news articles and briefs, developing new reporting and transparency platforms and tools, a resources library. The Associate will have strong interpersonal, writing, analytical, and technical skills and ideally have familiarity with carbon and forestry markets, as well as non-market mechanisms for forest conservation, net zero commitments. They will support strategic partnerships that enhance EM’s reputation and recognition.
- EM’s Global Carbon Survey Market Engagement: EM brings credibility and holds the confidence of a global network of hundreds of market actors that have reported tens of thousands of detailed offset transactions to its carbon survey. The Associate will work as a core member of the EM team to engage and build relationships with hundreds of carbon offset project developers, traders, and other actors (e.g., phone calls, emails, etc.) to encourage and support their survey response. This includes the maintenance of EM’s newly launched online survey platform and associated protocols, procedures, and tools. May also include running informational webinars, workshops, and training sessions.
- Account Support & Management: In coordination with EM team, provide account management to support requests from EM’s Visionary and Strategic Supporters, including participation in calls/meetings, relationship development, generation of EM data-based analytical reports, and respond to general incoming inquiries. Assist in the preparation of reports to partners, supporters, and donors.
- EM Insights and ‘State of’ Research and Writing: Conduct research on carbon markets and related topics, help generate insights and co-author reports and insights briefs (e.g., installments for the State of the Voluntary Carbon Markets reports, related topics including registry issuances and retirements, as well as sector-specific markets such as CORSIA). Contribute to all aspects of report production. Support dissemination of content on mailing lists, social media, webinars, newsletters.
- EM News Intelligence and Communications Support: Support EM News team, by offering intelligence and information to EM News writers (in-house and freelancers), and under the discretion of Director and Senior Program Manager may also author articles. Collaborate with internal colleagues to draft announcements, newsletters, and press releases relating to EM’s work.
- Records Management: Maintenance and use of EM’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system, and of EM data and use of EM’s Database Management System (DBMS).
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- Committed to the mission of Forest Trends, and the goals of Ecosystem Marketplace.
- Undergraduate degree required; Advanced degree desired (preferably of related content).
- Relevant experience or expertise in climate and environmental markets and policy, corporate sustainability, and impact investing are considered a plus.
- Excellent research, organizational, and communications skills required; research and/or journalistic writing experience desired.
- Ability to analyze complex data sets, express data in graphic forms, and synthesize data for internal and external stakeholders.
- Familiarity with Database Management Systems (DBMS), survey/data collection platforms, Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems, Google Drive, and Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Word, Teams, and advanced knowledge of Excel and complex formulas desired.
- Ability to work independently, and collaboratively with other Ecosystem Marketplace staff on team projects and with other Forest Trends initiatives on joint projects.
- Capacity to work with collaborators based outside of the US and develop strong internal and external stakeholder relationships.
Competitive salary commensurate with work experience. This is a fixed-term appointment with the opportunity of converting to a continuing appointment in January of 2022. The candidate will be eligible for a generous benefits package including a 7% (of gross pay) employer contribution to a 401K account; subsidized health and dental care insurance for self and family; employer–paid life, short- and long-term disability insurance; and paid sick and annual leave.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “EM Associate 2021 Application”. The application deadline is June 20, 2021, but we are looking to hire as soon as possible. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis Interested applicants are encouraged to apply early.