Title: Data Specialist, Carbon Markets
Reports to: Senior Program Manager and Director, Ecosystem Marketplace
Location: Forest Trends, Washington, DC
Start Date: Immediately
Forest Trends is an international non-profit organization based in Washington, DC. that works to expand the value of forests to society. We work to promote sustainable forest management and conservation by creating and capturing market values for ecosystem services; to support innovative projects and enterprises in these new markets; and to enhance the livelihoods of local communities living in and around critical ecosystems globally.
Forest Trends’ Ecosystem Marketplace (EM) initiative has for 16 years supplied the leading independent and standardized carbon markets trade reporting, transparency, and knowledge-sharing mechanism for global voluntary and compliance markets. EM aims to help drive improved carbon market transparency, price discovery, and market participants’ understanding of supply, demand, and credit quality. Data on carbon market trades and market-related issues is gathered through an online, on-demand, continuous reporting system. Our products include articles, reports, briefs, and analytical tools that rely on these robust datasets to increase transparency in the carbon markets.
We are seeking a Data Specialist, Carbon Markets to manage our data systems. The Data Specialist will lead in developing the processes and infrastructure to gather, clean, edit, store, secure, and analyze this information. The successful candidate will have proven experience working in data collection systems, data management, and statistical analysis. Interest in corporate sustainability and/or carbon markets is a plus.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Data management – Maintaining large databases to ensure that they are as up-to-date and exact as possible.
- Quantitative analysis and interpretation – Translating complex market data into digestible information, including summary statistics, regression analysis, and figure creation. Particularly at the outset, work with team members with carbon market expertise to identify interesting analysis points and interpret findings.
- Survey design and implementation – Streamlining existing data collection processes and/or conceptualizing improved processes to more efficiently gather data from disparate sources.
- Project Management – Effectively manage team members and contribute deliverables on a wide variety of analytical projects.
- Stakeholder engagement – Engage with data providers and EM partners on a regular basis to understand reporting challenges and continuously improve EM data collection processes and databases.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- Committed to the mission of Forest Trends, and of the Ecosystem Marketplace initiative.
- 4+ years of relevant work experience (graduate-level education may be used in lieu of experience).
- Proficient programming experience using SAAS/Python/R.
- Demonstrated ability to manage large disparate data sets and use quantitative and qualitative analysis.
- Experience effectively communicating and presenting data to a large variety of audiences.
- Demonstrates strong initiative and a desire to work in a fast paced and entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to work independently, and collaboratively with other Ecosystem Marketplace staff on team projects and with other Forest Trends initiatives on joint projects:
- Excellent research, organizational, and communications skills required.
- Prior experience with project and personnel management desired.
- Ability to work with collaborators based outside of the US and develop strong internal and external stakeholder relationships.
Competitive salary commensurate with work experience. In addition, Forest Trends offers a generous benefits package that includes a 7% (of gross pay) employer-paid contribution to a 401K account; subsidized health and dental care insurance for self and family; employer-paid life, short- and long-term disability insurance; and paid sick and annual leave.
Forest Trends is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff. We believe in the power of diversity to expand our range and capacity for understanding and engaging with the world, identifying challenges, and discovering, and delivering solutions. We honor team members’ experiences, perspectives, and unique identity and focus on building and sustaining an equitable and inclusive work environment where diversity is celebrated and valued.
Please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line “Data Specialist”. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, interested applicants are encouraged to submit applications as early as possible.
Application deadline is February 20, 2022.