Position Title: Research/Senior Research Fellow
Client: International Food Policy Research Institute (www.ifpri.org)
Position Location: Dhaka, Bangladesh
The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) seeks a qualified candidate to serve as a Research Fellow/Senior Research Fellow of its policy research and strategy support program (PRSSP) in Bangladesh for a two-year, fixed-term, exempt, renewable appointment. The position will be based in Dhaka, Bangladesh and will be under the Development Strategy and Governance Division (DSGD) of IFPRI. The Fellow will report to the Division Director of DSGD and will work closely with the Chief of Party of the PRSSP. Final grade level will be determined by relevant experience level.
The PRSSP aims to generate policy research to fill knowledge gaps on critical food security and agricultural developmental issues in Bangladesh. The expected outcomes of the project include enhanced efficiency of food production and marketing, accelerated income growth of the rural and urban poor, improved nutrition for vulnerable groups, and strengthened capacity of key Bangladeshi institutions for future food policy analysis. The project will facilitate the policymaking process, stimulate policy dialogue, and communicate evidence-based research findings to relevant Ministries of the Government of Bangladesh and other stakeholders. Key research and capacity strengthening activities will be carried out through collaborative applied research with national research institute and think tanks, universities, and nongovernmental organizations.
The Fellow will be responsible for:
- Research/Capacity Building: Based on the identified program of work, the Fellow will participate in specific empirical research on joint studies by researchers from IFPRI and collaborating national institutions, and coordinate with Washington- and New Delhi-based and in-country staff research activities. Peer reviewed publications are expected from the Fellow.
- Policy Communication and Liaison: Together with the Chief of Party, the Fellow will maintain active policy communication with the Government of Bangladesh and USAID officials and other national counterparts through regular meetings, policy seminar series, policy briefs and discussion paper series; establishing active links with various national research institutions; and liaising with donors on regular basis.
- Fundraising/Resource Mobilization: Through an active in-country presence and networking, the Fellow will identify additional research funding opportunities, channel donor resources to available skills and expertise in IFPRI, and participate in research proposal development.
- PhD in Economics, Agricultural Economics, or closely related field.
- Demonstrated research management and outreach experience in food and agricultural policy issues, with internationally recognized publications.
- Experience in project management, policy making or advisory position, and strong team-building and networking skills.
- Knowledge and experience working in developing countries, preferably South Asia.
- Ability to work across disciplines and cultures.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
IFPRI is one of the international agricultural research institutes organized under the umbrella of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). The mandate of IFPRI is to identify and analyze alternative national and international strategies and policies for meeting world food needs in ways that conserve the natural resource base, with emphasis on low income and on the poorer groups in the countries.
IFPRI offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits. IFPRI is an international and equal opportunity organization and believes that diversity of its staff contributes to excellence. We encourage women and developing country professionals to apply.
Applicants should email a detailed letter of interest and resume to:
Helena Brykarz, Contract Recruiter
Global Recruitment Specialists
PO Box 7382
Berkeley, CA 94707
Read more about the position here.
Read more about the position here.