Vacancy Announcement: Senior Program Officer
Analysis and capacity building are an integral part of RECOFTC’s work. Analysis aims at informing policy makers and practitioners, and more importantly providing a sound basis for capacity development of key stakeholders. RECOFTC’s capacity building program goes beyond conventional and one‐off trainings and it includes processes for action learning, mentoring and long term engagement to support capacity development of actors. Our capacity building program is informed by the results of analysis and vice versa.
RECOFTC is currently seeking a Senior Program Officer (SPO) to lead the thematic area People, Forest and Climate Change (PFCC). The successful applicant will be based at RECOFTC’s Bangkok headquarters. The contract duration is for two years with a possibility of extension.
The Senior Program Officer works as a key member of the Capacity Building and Technical Services (CBTS) Unit, and will contribute to the development and implementation of activities of RECOFTC’s People, Forest and Climate Change (PFCC) program, relating to community involvement in both mitigation and
- Providing strategic direction for the PFCC program and ensuring successful delivery and implementation of on‐going projects in coordination with the CBTS Manager.
- Coordinating analysis and capacity building in relation to climate mitigation and adaptation
- Maintaining and expanding strategic networks with other organizations dealing with climate change in Asia and the Pacific region
- Supervising project staff and interns and providing appropriate mentorships
- Leading proposal development and resource mobilization for PFCC related activities.
S/he is directly responsible to the CBTS Manager, and will also be accountable to other program and project staff, clients, partners, collaborators and funding agencies.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The Senior Program Officer’s main tasks and responsibilities will be as follows:
- Developing an understanding of community‐based natural resource management process and practice in its role for climate change mitigation and adaptation in the Asia‐Pacific region.
- Identifying strategic opportunities for RECOFTC support in analysis and capacity building in the area of mitigation and adaptation of climate change.
- Leading the development of project proposals on mitigation and adaptation.
Program Coordination and Delivery:
- Identifying key themes for strategic analysis in the area of mitigation and adaptation at local, national and regional level
- Leading strategic analyses for mainstreaming the role of community forestry in the mitigation and adaptation of climate change
- Preparing publications such as analytical reports, policy briefs, articles, media brief, etc.
- Representing RECOFTC in relevant events (conferences, workshops) to share findings
- Working closely with other CBTS members in the development of training curricula and programs and the delivery of capacity building activities such as trainings, mentoring, action learning and learning networks
- Leading the implementation and delivery of selected PFCC’s projects in coordination with CBTS Manager
- Providing technical advices to project leaders for specific projects under the PFCC program
- Leading the preparation of (progress) reports, including financial reports, for assigned projects.
- Developing, maintaining and establishing new contact with strategic partners; keeping abreast of their strategies and using it for program development.
- Supporting and maintaining ongoing networks in target countries and facilitating their active participation and exchange with national, regional and global thematic networks.
- Performing any other tasks that may be assigned by the CBTS Manager and Executive Director.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
The Senior Program Officer will have the following essential qualifications and experience:
- MSc. in forestry, ecology, natural resource management or related fields and with experience in climate change mitigation and adaptation. PhD in those fields is an asset.
- Knowledge of REDD+, PES schemes, adaptation measures and political economy of deforestation and quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Experience in multi‐stakeholder processes, policy dialogues and strategic analyses
- Good understanding on capacity building/development and excellent facilitation skills
- At least 5 years work experience post MSc. (or 1‐2 year of experience post PhD) in natural resource management or related field including local‐level experience with community‐based natural resource management (particularly community forestry).
- Proven effective net‐worker; flexible, open‐minded and resourceful.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, individually and in groups, with ability to work as an active member of multi‐cultural and multi‐ disciplinary teams.
- Proven analytical skills and an innovative thinker who actively contributes ideas to team processes.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and fluent in English.
- Knowledge and skills in project development and management.
- Previous work experience in the Asia‐Pacific region is strongly desirable.
- Experience in international organizations.
- Ability to speak one or more languages of RECOFTC’s focal countries
In addition to job specific skills and experience, the applicant should possess the following characteristics (including attitudes and skills):
- Posses leadership personality, and able to take on and solve problems quickly and efficiently;
- Hands‐on experience and able to work independently with minimum supervision;
- Initiative and ability to make informed independent judgments (which is not inconsistent with an overall team approach); and
- Ability to work in a variety of cultural and institutional contexts.
Please send applications to HR@recoftc.org, and include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and current contact details of three referees, including recent supervisors. Please quote the position title in the subject line of the email. Only short‐listed candidates will be notified. A remuneration package in line with qualifications and experiences will be negotiated with the selected candidate.
To learn more about RECOFTC, please visit our website www.recoftc.org
RECOFTC is an equal opportunity employer and the successful candidate will be selected based on merit.