World Wildlife Fund (WWF), the world’s leading conservation organization, seeks a SeniorProgram Officer at our Washington, DC office. The Senior Program Officer (SPO) is part of the WWF-US Forests team, whose vision is to conserve the world’s forests to sustain nature’s diversity, benefit our climate, and support human well-being. The SPO’s major function is to engage with North American companies, trade associations and public procurement entities on leadership practices for responsible commodity sourcing, to reduce threats from deforestation and forest degradation. The SPO will also help advance other country-based initiatives to strengthen jurisdictional land-use planning and governance, such as forest climate finance/REDD+ projects and deforestation-free platforms.
- Engage priority North American buyers of wood, paper and other forest-related commodities through WWF’s Global Forest & Trade Network and other platforms, to secure and maintain their commitment to legal and responsible sourcing.
- Manage selected company relationships. Conduct outreach to secure new company commitments, and provide technical assistance in areas including forest legality, Forest Stewardship Council certification, sourcing policies, deforestation-free policies, supply chain management, supplier engagement and transparency.
- Coordinate with other WWF goal and influence teams, particularly Food, Climate, Water, Policy and Private Sector Engagement, to ensure alignment and leverage corporate collaborations for maximum impact.
- Work with Forest and Food teams to advance jurisdictional sourcing approaches that leverage corporate deforestation-free sourcing commitments, strengthen land-use planning and governance, and reduce land-based emissions in priority forest regions.
- Identify and track emerging issues such as forest products trade, forest products innovation, forest certification, forest legality, forest carbon finance mechanisms, and developments within the WWF Network, to inform WWF-US positions and strategy.
- Share responsibility for the development and implementation of annual targets, work plans and fundraising efforts for WWF-US Forest Sector Transformation work.
- Draft and coordinate delivery of internal progress reports, proposals, and donor reports.
- Represent WWF-US at meetings, external workshops and conferences on forest issues of relevance to the WWF-US Forest Sector Transformation initiative.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required in a relevant field such as Forestry, Natural Resource Management, Environmental Law and Policy, International Studies, Supply Chain Management, or Business. A Master’s Degree in one of these relevant fields is highly desirable.
- Position requires a minimum of 6 years’ program or professional experience with responsible forest management, international forest products trade or other natural resource commodity trade, forest governance, forest certification, responsible supply chain practices, or corporate social/environmental responsibility. An advanced degree can substitute for two of those years of experience
- Familiarity with forest climate finance initiatives such as REDD+, deforestation-free initiatives, and forest biomass/bioenergy issues is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively engage within the private sector and partner organizations, build strong relationships and deliver results
- High-level of interpersonal, diplomatic and negotiation skills
- Highly efficient and productive work style, with excellent project administration and time management skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills, and talent for public speaking skills
- Ability to excel as part of a high performing team in fast-paced environment
- Ability to work with considerable independence, competence and discretion
- Experience living or working overseas highly desirable
- Experience working within a large and complex organization across geographical, cultural and language (ESL) boundaries desirable
- Ability to communicate effectively in French, Spanish or Chinese desirable
- Ability to be flexible and have fun
Please Note: This is a limited 2 year term position, with possibility of extension.