FOREST TRENDS is an international not-for-profit environmental conservation organization based in Washington, D.C., that works to achieve sustainable forest management and conservation by capturing market values for ecosystem services globally.
We are seeking an experienced Sr. Communications Associate will support the Communications Manager in strengthening Forest Trends’ overall communications, with a special emphasis on media and social media outreach. S/he will be responsible for promoting Forest Trends’ work to the media and also generally strengthen the organization’s outreach by cultivating and organizing media contacts and lists, assisting with mailings (primarily electronic) and other forms of outreach, coordinating event logistics, supporting the publication and communications production process, and performing other duties as assigned. This Sr. Associate reports directly to the Communications Manager/
Roles and Responsibilities:
Media and Social Media Outreach:
- With the Communications Manager and Communications Team, conduct media outreach for all organizational products and events, including writing press releases, media advisories etc.
- Create clear and engaging content for press releases and other media-facing products.
- Help find new media contacts and cultivate ongoing media relationships.
- Play a major role in organizing and carrying out social media outreach for the organization, with an eye to developing long-term strategies for outreach to social networks.
- Synthesize program activities and products into clear, exciting language for Facebook and Twitter accounts, and establish consistent presence on other social media networks as needed.
- Carry out specific communications and outreach activities to targeted constituencies including (but not limited to) donors, strategic partners, government officials, influential stakeholders, etc.
- Assist with managing publication and communications product development (including original writing, review, editing, formatting) as well as with general outreach support activities, including the development and management of contact lists, executing mailings or other outreach efforts, and coordinating event logistics.
- Other duties and activities as assigned.
- Support the development of a long-term institutional communications strategy for Forest Trends, working closely with the Communications Manager and senior leadership
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years relevant experience.
- Experience with media and advocacy campaigns. Skilled in writing for media (press releases, media advisories, blog posts, contributed pieces).
- Experience using social media, in particular for a non-profit campaign or advocacy setting.
- Desired: Familiarity with environmental issues, specifically environmental finance and market-based conservation. Experience working internationally.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including copy editing.
- Excellent MS Office skills, especially MS Word and PowerPoint.
- Able to work independently and also as part of a team.
- Strong logistical and time management skills, ability to multi-task, prioritize and shift focus as needed.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience including a generous benefit package.
To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by April 15, 2015.
Time dedication and location: Full-time. Based in Washington, D.C. office.