The Greenhouse Gas Protocol at the World Resources Institute is looking for a highly motivated person to join the GHG Protocol Corporate Team. The primary function of this position will be to support capacity building on Scope 3 accounting and help lead the development of GHG Protocol’s GHG accounting guidance for the financial sector (http://www.ghgprotocol.org/feature/financial-sector-guidance-corporate-value-chain-scope-3-accounting-and-reporting). Additional tasks may include assisting with other projects related to corporate greenhouse gas accounting.
The GHG Protocol, a decade-long partnership between the World Resources Institute and the World Business Council for Sustainable Development, is working with businesses, governments, and environmental groups around the world to build a new generation of credible and effective standards and programs for tackling climate change. The GHG Protocol (www.ghgprotocol.org) is the most widely used international accounting tool for government and business leaders to understand, quantify, and manage greenhouse gas emissions.
Responsibilities associated with developing the GHG Protocol Financial Sector Guidance include:
- Facilitate technical working groups in drafting and editing the guidance
- Contribute writing and editing for the guidance
- Coordinate and provide technical guidance to pilot testers
- Develop case studies to be included in the guidance
- Manage public comment periods and manage review of comments
- Coordinate multi-stakeholder engagement, including frequent communication with a wide range of stakeholders
- Assist in organizing advisory committee, technical working group, and public stakeholder workshops
- Assist in fundraising activities including preparing funding proposals
Other corporate GHG accounting responsibilities may include:
- Provide summaries and analysis on key accounting issues and challenges
- Write white papers on key accounting issues
- Write blogs on accounting issues, trends in corporate GHG reporting or other topics
- Deliver training on GHG Protocol corporate standards
- Represent GHG Protocol at conferences and meetings
- Minimum of 2-4 years of professional work experience related to the financial sector and/or corporate sustainability.
- Preferably a Masters degree in a relevant field.
- Experience either working in the financial sector or experience working in a role with significant interaction with the financial sector
- Experience with corporate GHG reporting and/or corporate value chains
- Knowledge and strong interest in greenhouse gas accounting
- Excellent research, writing, analysis, and communications skills
- Ability to learn complex greenhouse gas and life cycle accounting concepts quickly
- Interest in and knowledge of climate change, energy and corporate sustainability issues
- Ability to self-motivate, stay organized, and work both independently and as part of a team
- Final candidates may be required to submit a writing test
Salary and benefits: Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. WRI offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Qualified applicants should apply online at www.wri.org/careers. All applications must be submitted online through this career portal in order to be formally considered.