TerraCarbon is seeking a project associate to provide technical support to forest carbon projects developed by TerraCarbon’s clients in the U.S. and abroad. The project associate will report to the Director – Forestry and Technical Services, and will be expected to work with minimal supervision shortly after joining. The duties and responsibilities of the project associate will include the following:
- Performing feasibility studies, including analyses of prospective projects against eligibility standards and developing projections of carbon credits.
- Preparing project design documents and supporting analyses, including inventories of forest carbon stocks and manipulation of GIS datasets, needed to achieve project validation, liaising between clients and auditors.
- Implementing project monitoring activities and developing monitoring reports and documentation needed to achieve project verification, liaising between clients and auditors.
- Supporting the development of new business opportunities and contributing to proposals for consulting assignments.
- Graduate degree in forestry or environmental science;
- Strong field forestry and analytical skills, including proficiency in sampling design and statistics, forest inventory and mensuration, GIS and database management. Forest growth and yield modeling and coding skills a plus;
- Good writing and communication skills;
- Strong project management skills, including experience in project planning, budgeting, contracts, budget tracking and time management;
- Experience working in developing countries is a plus;
- Fluency in English required, knowledge of Spanish is a plus; and
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally (approximately 10-20% of the time).
- Location: The position will be based in Charlottesville, Virginia.
About TerraCarbon LLC
TerraCarbon LLC is a leading advisory firm that helps develop and sell carbon offsets to fund conservation work around the world. We believe that market-based solutions are key to solving climate change and protecting the world’s forests and critical ecosystems that all life depends on.
TerraCarbon provides a full range of services including feasibility analysis, project design and development, monitoring and evaluation, and marketing advisory services. Our clients include the world’s leading conservation organizations, forward-thinking corporations, and social enterprises.
Since we started in 2006, we’ve helped 30+ conservation projects around the world that are protecting over 5 million acres and that have reduced emissions by more than 40 million tons. Through these efforts, we are helping drive new, market-based funding to save and restore temperate forest, tropical rainforest, freshwater wetland and coastal wetland ecosystems.
TerraCarbon is a Certified B Corporation which means we meet higher standards of social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability, and have adopted a legal framework which requires us to consider the impact of our decisions on our employees, suppliers, community, consumers, and the environment. It is a way of demonstrating that our business has a higher purpose than simply profit, and that is contributing to the protection and restoration of the world’s forest and critical ecosystems for the benefit of the world’s climate, wildlife, and people.
TerraCarbon values a diverse workforce. Women, people of color, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community are strongly encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should send a CV and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 4, 2019.