The Climate Trust is seeking an individual to provide technical expertise to support the acquisition of new carbon offset projects and project development in the forestry sector, and to help grow a robust project pipeline. The right candidate is one who is equally comfortable researching and digesting complex carbon project protocols and quantification methodologies, conducting muddy, sweaty fieldwork, and putting on a suit and tie to meet with a variety of constituents—all within the same week! This is a rare opportunity to join a team passionate about advancing meaningful conservation projects that also provide financial returns via the burgeoning carbon market.
This is an exciting opportunity to work on innovative climate change solutions in a highly collaborative, congenial, and entrepreneurial atmosphere. We are a small but mighty team that works closely on the mission to reduce the devastating effects of climate change and also enjoys each other’s company at salad Thursday, quarterly team outings, and many trips to the nearby watering holes.
- Complete carbon offset project feasibility assessments by evaluating suitability for voluntary and compliance markets, project eligibility criteria, offset quantification, and project viability
- Work with project owners and/or developers to gather the necessary data and documentation to estimate, measure, verify, and monitor projects’ emissions reduction performance
- Conduct occasional field work and site visits
- Assist with investment due diligence process for forestry projects including land owner engagement, environmental legacy research, and delivery risk
- Manage and track the contractual obligations and performance of forest carbon emission reduction purchase agreements and additional emission reduction purchase agreements as assigned
- Engage with a broad range of stakeholders including consulting foresters, registry staff, verifiers, project developers in multiple sectors, and NGOs working on forest conservation
- MF, MFS, or MS in natural sciences, or BS in natural sciences with equivalent experience
- Strong working knowledge of forestry compliance and voluntary carbon market standards and protocols
- Experience using Excel and Access for data management
- Strong ESRI ArcMap for GIS analysis skills
- Experience with FVS or other growth and yield programs preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong research, analysis, and quantification skills
- Ability to travel on occasion
- Ability to perform occasional field work, in steep rugged terrain, and inclement weather
Salary is commensurate with experience. The Climate Trust offers a very strong benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance; five weeks paid time off in the first year; flexible work hours; a 401(k) match; and a bus/bike commute incentive program.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title in the subject line.
No phone calls please. Applications without a cover letter will not be accepted.
The Climate Trust is an equal opportunity employer.