A global leader in helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental challenges, Verra seeks two Senior Program Officers and two Program Officers to join its growing program team. The ideal candidates will possess a strong technical knowledge of, and experience working with, environmental and/or social standards. She or he will be meticulous, organized and analytical, have good written and verbal communication skills, and possess strong attention to detail and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
With the signing of the Paris Agreement and increased focus on the Sustainable Development Goals, Verra has seen increasing demand for its standards that allow governments, the private sector, civil society and investors to track progress and drive funding towards achieving ambitious sustainable development, climate and environmental goals. In response to that demand, we are expanding our work into new arenas and growing our team to serve new and existing stakeholders.
Verra currently manages a number of global standards frameworks. These include the Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) Program and its Jurisdictional and Nested REDD+ framework (JNR), the Verra California Offset Project Registry (OPR), the Climate, Community & Biodiversity (CCB) Standards, and the Sustainable Development Verified Impact Standard (SD VISta). Verra is also developing new standards frameworks, including the Landscape Standard, which will promote and measure sustainability outcomes across agricultural landscapes, which is being developed with a range of partners.
Verra is expanding its capacity to administer its growing portfolio of standards and programs and to strengthen demand for them. Program Officers will:
- Provide guidance and support to users of the Verra programs including project and program developers, methodology developers, validation/verification bodies, and other stakeholders.
- Play a key role in ensuring the quality of projects requesting registration with Verra programs, including reviewing project documentation, making project site visits, and liaising closely with project stakeholders.
In addition to handling the above responsibilities, Senior Program Officers will:
- Support the continuing improvement and development of Verra program guidance and rules.
- Serve as an expert resource within the program team on technical matters, including training and mentoring junior staff.
- On an as needed basis, consult with Verra’s legal counsel on a range of issues including clarification and/or guidance on program rule interpretations, legal representations by program stakeholders, etc.
We are seeking candidates who excel at quickly learning new concepts, interacting with a diverse range of stakeholders, and who have a passion for addressing sustainable development and climate action challenges. Candidates for the Program Officer positions will possess the following qualifications:
- A university degree in environmental studies/sciences, sustainable development, engineering, forestry, or a related field.
- Knowledge of the forestry, agriculture, energy efficiency or renewable energy sectors, and an understanding of GHG quantification methodologies, baselines, additionality, leakage, nonpermanence and monitoring. Detailed knowledge of GHG quantification methodology development and/or use would be an asset.
- Understanding of climate change mitigation and adaptation concepts, SDGs, supply-chain sustainability initiatives, and/or climate/development finance.
- Understanding of sustainability issues, standards and certification programs (e.g., Rainforest Alliance, Utz, Fair Trade, ESG criteria), including the role of auditors.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Experience analyzing, interpreting and visualizing data, identifying trends, and communicating results of analysis.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Fluency in English is essential.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize and work efficiently and effectively under deadlines.
- Good interpersonal skills; capable of maintaining professional approach and demeanor in high-pressure situations.
- Culturally aware with ability to work with stakeholders and partners from different countries and cultures.
- Self-starter with ability to excel in a professional environment with limited supervision.
- Employees based in the US must be eligible to work in the United States (i.e., US citizen or holding current work authorization).
In addition to the above, Senior Program Officer candidates will possess the following qualifications:
- At least 2 years of professional experience in any of the following:
- Carbon markets, Renewable Energy Certificate (REC) markets, and/or land use management, preferably working for or with project developers and/or validation and verification bodies.
- Independent standards-setting or certification bodies for commercial or industrial activities (e.g., green building design, sustainable product design, sustainable forest management, sustainable agriculture, etc.).
- Standards setting and/or certification organizations and/or programs
- Previous professional experience in environmental, sustainable development and/or international development organizations.
- Graduate degree in environmental studies/sciences, sustainable development, engineering, forestry, or a related field.
- Experience in editing and drafting technical documents.
- Advanced Excel skills.
- Study or work experience in developing countries.
- Fluency in another language (particularly Spanish).
How to Apply
Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive. Verra offers a very attractive benefits package, including 22-30 days of paid time off plus holidays, retirement contributions, access to flexible savings accounts, and a choice of top-tier health plans. To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
All applications should be submitted to Rachel Wallach at email@example.com and will be considered on a rolling basis.