A global leader in helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental challenges, Verra seeks a dynamic Program Officer to join its market development team to support market engagement, research and external communications. The ideal candidate will possess a strong knowledge of marketing and communications and corporate sustainability issues and standards. The Program Officer will be focused, organized and analytical, have strong written, verbal and visual (e.g., infographic development) communication skills, and possess good attention to detail and an ability to work in a fast-paced, results-based environment.
With the signing of the Paris Agreement and increased focus on the Sustainable Development Goals, Verra has seen increasing demand for its standards that allow governments, the private sector, civil society and investors to track progress and drive funding towards achieving ambitious sustainable development, climate and environmental goals. In response to that demand, we are expanding our work into new arenas and growing our team to serve new and existing stakeholders.
Verra currently manages a number of global standards frameworks designed to channel finance towards high-impact activities that mitigate climate change and promote sustainable development.
The Program Officer will play a key role in the market development team, working with a small group to analyze market opportunities for the full range of Verra standards, and support development and dissemination of communications and marketing materials. In particular, the Program Officer will:
- Research and track new and emerging carbon markets (e.g., the aviation CORSIA and emerging domestic markets around the world) and assess marketability of sustainable development benefits at project and landscape scale, as well as plastic waste recycling credits.
- Develop communications materials, including graphic design, formatting and finalizing a range of marketing collateral (e.g., infographics, fact sheets, web pages, presentations and conference materials).
- Manage social media accounts, stakeholder list serves and mailing lists to disseminate information through various communication channels.
- Manage website content, including updating web pages and improving design.
- Support the market development team by setting up meetings, planning workshops and conferences, and representing Verra at industry events.
- Support additional market development activities and assist with other Verra-related work, as needed.
We are seeking candidates who have strong writing skills, expertise in marketing and communications, are collaborative team players, and who have a passion for addressing sustainable development and environmental challenges from a market-based perspective. Candidates for the Program Officer position will possess the following qualifications:
- At least 2 years of professional experience in any of the following:
- Market research, marketing and communications; or,
- Corporate social responsibility, supply chain procurement or greening, managing corporate use of sustainability standards, reporting and certification (e.g., CDP, GRI, Rainforest Alliance, FSC) or impact investment.
- A relevant university degree.
- Experience developing communications materials, including graphic design and/or website management.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Fluency in English is essential.
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize and work efficiently and effectively under deadlines.
- Dynamic interpersonal skills; capable of maintaining professional approach and demeanor in high-pressure situations.
- Culturally aware with ability to work well with stakeholders and partners from different countries and cultures.
- Self-starter with an ability to excel in a professional environment with limited supervision.
- Employees based in the US must be eligible to work in the United States (i.e., US citizen or holding current work authorization).
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, and Contact Management Systems such as MailChimp or ConstantContact.
- Graduate degree in environmental studies/sciences, sustainable development, business, marketing and communications or a related field.
- Study or work experience in developing countries, ideally working with disadvantaged or marginalized communities.
- Fluency in a second language, especially Spanish.
- Familiarity with environmental finance, carbon markets, sustainability reporting or impact investing.
How to Apply
Compensation depends on experience and is highly competitive. Verra offers a very attractive benefits package, including 22-30 days of paid time off plus holidays, retirement contributions, access to flexible savings accounts, and a choice of top-tier health plans. To apply, please send us the following:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page)
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages)
All applications should be submitted to Rachel Wallach at email@example.com and will be considered on a rolling basis