Managing programs and technical services, contribute to Nexus strategy development and implementation
- Program Development
- Executive Director
- Program Officer, Program Development Manager, Technical Manager, Carbon Program Manager
- Various across the organization
Position based in
- Phnom Penh, Cambodia,
Requires travel up to 20%
Duties and Responsibilities
The Program Development Director position is a key position in Nexus to support the growth of the organization and strengthen existing technical expertise. The position reports to the Executive Director and manages a multidisciplinary team of 4 people to develop and implement Nexus’ programs and technical services. The position requires strategic and operational coordination with all departments.
The Program Development Director drives the business development strategy to support Nexus financial sustainability. The role is also responsible for timely and quality management of existing programs and funds managed by Nexus.
The position supervises the work of a Program Officer and a Program Manager to ensure the smooth management of ongoing services to members and partners. She/he will be responsible for implementing a business development strategy focused on:
- Originating strong projects and consultancies in the low-carbon, pro-poor sectors. Current projects involve SMEs and social businesses producing and/ or distributing improved cookstoves, water filters, household biogas digestors, and solar technologies primarily in Asia but also in Africa;
- Matching projects with appropriate sources of funding, including Nexus funds.
The position also works closely with the Grants and Membership Manager to establish new relationships and strengthen existing partnerships with members and key stakeholders. These include donors, multi-lateral agencies, development banks, research institutions, and industry networks. She/ he works closely with Nexus member organizations – and in coordination with the Membership and Grants Manager, to understand opportunities for active collaboration, their needs and expectations.
The Program Development Director works collaboratively with the Executive Director and the Finance Director to ensure the long term financial sustainability of the organization.
She/he represents Nexus in national and international forums and makes public presentations and pitches.
The Program Development Director has oversight of the technical team (2 staffs) and ensures contractual time frames and quality management is delivered across the project portfolio. She/he oversees the work of the technical team with regards to the to the technical and financial services provided to carbon projects.
The Program Development Director will also develop and implement a research and advocacy work plan, including:
- Strategize technical consultancies;
- Manage the advocacy efforts to value co-benefits of low-carbon projects in collaboration with the Communication and Corporate Partnerships team and the members;
- Strengthen Nexus capacity on social and environmental Monitoring and Evaluation of projects.
Strategy and team management
The Program Development Director will contribute to general management and strategy of Nexus, including:
- Manage the Program Officer and Manager and anticipate HR needs to support the business development, research and consultancy activities
- Oversee the technical team
- Contribute to the overall strategic direction of Nexus along with other directors
- Attend Nexus Board Meetings as needed
Successful candidates will have:
- At least 7 years’ experience developing and implementing business development strategies and programs;
- Understanding of climate finance mechanisms and environmental engineering, knowledge of GHG accounting methodologies and impact assessments methodologies is a plus;
- Experience originating and structuring projects and/or impact investments in carbon and clean energy;
- Leading and managing a team, experience with remote management and decentralized organizations a plus;
- Demonstrated ability to secure grants and/or consultancies in the field of climate change, development and clean energy;
- Experience in public speaking and reporting (including liaison, advice and preparation of written proposals, reports and submissions) in fluent English.
Education and skills
- Master’s degree in relevant subject (environmental science, international development, business management, strategy)
- At least five years’ experience in a related field
- Experience working in a developing country
- Interpersonal, problem solving and negotiation skills
- Passion for development, climate change and clean energy issues
- At ease in working in a small structure, start-up-type, where tasks and responsibilities are in constant movement
Able to operate in a multicultural environment
How to apply
Please submit a CV and application statement to email@example.com. Application statements should address how you meet the KEY REQUIREMENTS by providing examples from a previous position. The subject of the email should read: “Application Program Development Director”. The deadline for applications is 21 February 2017.
Background on Nexus
Nexus is a cooperative of development organizations and social enterprises that support vulnerable communities by scaling up successful low-carbon projects. We exist to connect development projects to the resources they need to have the biggest impact. We are a not-for-profit with a collaborative structure, which enables our members to share expertise and services, and access the technical assistance and international funding opportunities they need to grow.
Our values guide everything we do, and we’re looking for people who will help us live them:
We build meaningful connections – we unlock new opportunities by connecting people, ideas and action
We find better ways – our challenge is always changing, and we’re devoted to finding ever better ways to tackle it
We see the big picture – we find better ways – our bold vision for development is based on enabling change that lasts.
We show our impact – by showing our impact we can change what people think is possible.