About the Ecosystem Marketplace
Ecosystem Marketplace, a project of Forest Trends, is a leading source of news, data, and analytics on markets and payments for ecosystem services (such as water quality, carbon sequestration, and biodiversity). We believe that by making accessible information on policy, finance, regulation, science, business, and other market-relevant factors, payments and markets for ecosystem services will one day become a fundamental part of our economic system, helping give value to environmental services that, for too long, have been taken for granted.
Valorando Naturaleza launched in March 2013, and like the Ecosystem Marketplace, produces original news articles, news briefs, and aggregates content for daily news, a resource library, regional events and opportunities related to ecosystem services in Latin America. For more information, visit www.valorandonaturaleza.org.
In providing free, reliable market information, we hope not only to facilitate transactions, but also to catalyze new thinking, spur the development of new markets and the infrastructure that supports them, and achieve effective and equitable nature conservation. The experience supporting the development of this recently re-launched information platform will provide the program assistant with invaluable contacts and exposure to the universe of international conservation NGOs, for-profits and development multilaterals in the area of ecosystem services.
Research & Communications Assistant Description:
The Program Assistant will be able to commit up to 20 hours per week to support the range of activities described.
Responsibilities may include:
- Help maintain ValorandoNaturaleza.Org, collecting and importing selected content
- Manage content to be posted via a content management system designed for the website
- Track and post news from the field, daily
- Periodic translation of content (English-Spanish, Spanish-English)
- Research news and events to contribute to website news, feature stories and other listings
- Support development of a newsletter with multiple partners in the region, using content from the site, writing abstracts and managing material
- Participate in developing the web and communications strategy for the site
- Help track site traffic and use patterns
- Interest in conservation finance/payments for ecosystem services and basic knowledge of the carbon markets or other ecosystem services finance mechanisms
- Good research and organizational skills; journalism skills a plus
- Very high level of attention to detail, meticulous about how information is displayed
- Ability to multi-task and to work well with minimum management
- Native Spanish with strong English communication skills and excellent Spanish writing skills
- Good working knowledge of Word, Google Docs, and some familiarity with content management systems a plus
- Preferably, ability to commute to a Washington, DC office
$10-$15/hour depending on level of education and experience. Employer benefits are not provided.
Open, but preferably Washington, D.C.
Submit your resume and a cover letter by Sept 1 2013. Early submissions encouraged, as the position will (ideally) commence on Sept 1, 2013. Please send your materials to: email@example.com
Ecosystem Marketplace is an initiative of Forest Trends, a Washington DC-based international non-profit organization that works to promote the conservation of forested ecosystems and the lives of those who depend on them through markets and payments for ecosystem services.