The Policy Associate with the International Climate Program will play a key role in the development and execution of EDF’s international climate strategy, working towards a comprehensive market-based system of carbon reduction policies. Primary responsibilities will include coordinating and performing a wide range of economic, financial, technical, legal or environmental analyses oriented toward building momentum in favor of such policies, as well as international advocacy based on that analytical work. Significant interaction with the private sector may also be involved. This position requires strong internal and external communications skills, in-depth knowledge of international climate change policy, experience with climate negotiators and/or government officials, and strong lobbying and advocacy skills.
- Provide analytical support for and advocate on behalf of EDF’s climate policies, likely including a particular focus on international transport (aviation and maritime shipping), as well as agriculture or other key sectors.
- Coordinate EDF’s strategy development process for UN climate negotiations.
- Analyze emerging international and national climate change policies, with a focus on large emerging economies and global sectors, and advocate for positive environmental outcomes within countries and multilateral institutions.
- Coordinate closely with other members of EDF’s climate team to carry out programmatic goals effectively.
- Represent EDF in public appearances, UN agencies, and various NGO working groups.
- Graduate degree or equivalent work experience in areas related to climate change, preferably at the international level.
- Demonstrated success in energy and environmental problem-solving through innovative, workable solutions.
- Knowledge of US federal policy processes, UN agencies, and/or foreign governments and law highly desirable.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including public speaking.
- Experience in project management and exceptional personal organization and attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of small teams in a dynamic and creative environment.
- Ability to work with colleagues and partners of varied backgrounds and experience in a fast-paced work environment.
- Willingness to travel.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent judgment, flexibility, good humor, optimism, modesty, and graciousness.
- Foreign language skills highly desirable.
Read more about the position here.