NewClimate Institute seeks an experienced policy analyst with project management experience in Cologne or Berlin, to strengthen the team primarily in the area of ‘Carbon Market Mechanisms’. NewClimate Institute is a think tank which started operations in November 2014. We are a team of researchers and policy advisors with long experience in supporting the international climate negotiations and associated national and international processes. Through our policy oriented research and capacity building we help international organisations, national governments, NGOs and other actors to find and implement solutions to the global climate change challenge. Your work here would focus in particular on analysis, evaluation and design of domestic and international market mechanisms. Possible projects include the evaluation and development of market and non-market based mechanisms as instruments within a broader climate policy landscape to reduce greenhouse gas emissions (e.g. ETS, carbon tax, RBF, CDM, sectoral approaches, Article 6 implementation). The position includes, amongst other responsibilities, project management, qualitative and quantitative analysis of climate policies and market instruments, leading and contributing to high quality research reports.
You should be highly motivated with a strong interest in the field of climate change policy and sustainable development with a particular focus on carbon market mechanisms and carbon pricing approaches.
We are looking for somebody who is:
- Motivated to work in a small, evolving institute and be part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Keen to work in an international atmosphere with partners from around the world
- Self-sufficient, independent and eager to learn
- Thorough, solution seeking and scientific in her/his way of working
- Flexible and interested to travel internationally
- Minimum of five years of experience in the area of climate change mitigation and carbon markets
- Experience in managing medium size projects and project teams
- Experience in working in international cooperation and with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Understanding of the climate policy landscape, both at the country as well as the international policy level
- Advanced knowledge of domestic and international carbon pricing instruments such as project-based instruments (e.g. CDM, JI, VCS), emission trading schemes (e.g. EU ETS) as well as sectoral approaches.
- Good understanding of the pre- and post-Paris carbon market landscape
- Experience with MRV and GHG quantification approaches
- Excellent report writing, communication and presentation skills
- Full proficiency in English (spoken and written) is required, full proficiency in spoken and written German preferred, other languages are an advantage
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook etc.).
- Eligibility to work in Germany
If you are interested and fit the described profile, we look forward to receiving your CV along with a short cover letter and your salary expectations to email@example.com.