Position Announcement: Operations Manager
Greenhouse Gas Management Institute
Join an entrepreneurial and mission driven nonprofit organization established to build the quality and capacity of people around the world working on climate change and greenhouse gas management.
The Greenhouse Gas Management Institute is actively seeking an Operations Manager to take primary responsibility for all internal operations for the organization. The ideal candidate will have experience in a broad range of business functions for non-profits, be technologically savvy, and be very comfortable with taking initiative without close supervision.
Start Date: Immediately
Location: North America, with preference for Washington D.C. or SF Bay Area
Type: Full-Time, Permanent
The Operations Manager will report directly to the Executive Director and be responsible for a full range of business functions and systems, including contracts management, financial management, information technology, human resources, strategic planning, and marketing.
- Maintain relationships and oversee agreements with external parties such as partners, IT service providers, contractors, customers, members, and funders
- Manage ongoing day to day operations (accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, timesheets, employee benefits and compensation, team meetings)
- Supervise staff responsible for maintaining critical IT systems (website, payment systems, and Moodle learning management system)
- Take lead in all grants and contracts management, including negotiation and compliance
- Track income and expenditures, itemize expenses, reconcile bank statements, manage cash flows, and develop financial reports
- Participate in the annual audit and IRS Form 990 filing processes
- Enforce and adhere to fiscal control policies and procedures
- Supervise administrative staff and contractors
- Provide administrative support for Executive Director on special projects
- Opportunity to get involved with marketing, sales, and fundraising activities
- A bachelor’s degree (MA/MBA/MS preferred, degrees in Business, Management, or Finance preferred)
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting in the nonprofit sector
- Technologically savvy, with familiarity with content management systems
- A track record in federal grants/contracts management
Abilities and Characteristics:
- Passion for the mission of the Institute
- Strong ability to take initiative
- Communicate and work effectively in a virtual office environment with staff, Board members and external parties
- Offer solutions, reach logical conclusions and make sound recommendations
- Implement and evaluate administrative procedures
- Manage multiple projects and deliver products by deadlines
- Marketing and communications experience desired
- Book-keeping experience, working with Quickbooks preferred
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary: commensurate with experience and qualifications
- Vacation: 4 weeks per year
Please send to email@example.com a resume and cover letter that responds specifically to each Responsibilities, Qualifications, and Abilities bullet. No telephone calls please. Applications will be reviewed immediately.
The Greenhouse Gas Management Institute was established in 2007 with the mission, to address climate change by building and developing a global community of experts with the highest standards of professional practice in measuring, accounting, auditing and managing greenhouse gas emissions; meeting the needs of governments, corporations, and organizations large and small. For more information go to www.ghginstitute.org.
The Institute is a U.S. 501(c)(3) registered charitable nonprofit organization. It operates as a uniquely virtual organization to minimize its carbon footprint. All staff telecommute from home offices.
GHGMI is committed to provide equal employment opportunities.