Under the direct supervision of the Team Lead, Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Inventories Unit, the incumbent coordinates technical reviews of national GHG inventories by international expert review teams (ERTs) under the Convention and the Kyoto Protocol; contributes to the development, maintenance and improvement of analytical and reporting tools which support the review process, and of relevant UNFCCC databases; provides substantive input to documentation produced by the subprogramme,and acts as representative in meetings of the Subsidiary Bodies, Ad-hoc Working Groups,the Conference of the Parties (COP) of the UNFCCC, and the COP serving as Meeting of the Parties(CMP) to the Kyoto Protocol. In particular, the incumbent:
1. Coordinates technical reviews of national GHG inventories from Annex I Parties under the Convention and the Kyoto Protocol ERTs, including the preparation of annual status reports as well as synthesis and assessment reports, organization of in-country visits and centralized reviews, liaison with Party experts and officials during the review process, and oversight over the drafting of technical reports on reviews by the ERTs; assists with the selection of experts for inclusion in the ERTs and facilitates the work of the ERTs and the lead reviewers in the course of the annual review process;
2. Provides substantive thematic input to the development, maintenance and improvement of analytical tools supporting the review process and relevant UNFCCC databases, and contributes, in collaboration with the ITS programme, to the maintenance and development of the reporting tools used by Parties in the preparation of their GHG inventories;
3. Contributes to the preparation of documents mandated by Parties with regards to the implementation of the Convention and the Kyoto Protocol by Annex I Parties, relating to the reporting and review of GHG inventories;
4. Conducts analyses and technical work, such as assessing potential changes in existing organizational guidelines or identification of requirements for new IT tools concerning the inventory-related part of the measurement, reporting and verification (MRV) provisions, as developed by Parties to the UNFCCC pursuant to the Bali Action Plan (decision 1/CP.13) and subsequent decisions;
5. Represents the unit and/or sub-programme at relevant internal and external meetings, such as annual meetings of the lead reviewers, technical meetings and/or workshops on the reporting and review guidelines for national GHG inventories, and others; provides substantive support to inventory-related negotiations by Parties at meetings of the Subsidiary Bodies, Ad-hoc Working Groups, COP and CMP to the Kyoto Protocol.
• First level university degree in environmental science, economics, engineering. A diploma or certificate in computer science would be an asset.
• At least five (5) years of professional experience in the area of preparation and review of information included in national GHG inventories and national communications under the Climate Change Convention and its Kyoto Protocol, or comparable experience with the preparation and processing of technical information of similar complexity. Two years of experience in an international setting is a requirement. Participation in UNFCCC reviews of national GHG inventories from Annex I Parties is an asset. Experience with preparing technical reports on climate change issues is an asset.
• Knowledge of the reporting and review requirements under the Climate Change Convention and its Kyoto Protocol.
• Ability to coordinate technical work of multi-disciplinary experts in a team. Proficiency in compiling and reviewing technical reports of high complexity. Excellent writing skills.
• Fluency in written and spoken English is essential. Working knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
One and a half years, with possibility of extension
View the original posting here