Mexico REDD+ Policy Internship
With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
EDF’s International Climate Program seeks an intern to support the team’s international policy efforts concerning the reduction of emissions from deforestation and forest degradation (REDD+), in particular those requiring cooperation with local non-governmental organizations and local and national governments in Mexico. This position reports to EDF’s Biodiversity and Climate Science Policy Advisor and is based in our Washington, D.C. office.
- Conducting background research and synthesizing information on community forestry, sustainable forest management, and sustainable agriculture in Mexico
- Assisting in outreach to academic institutions, experts, and environmental non-profits and community organizations
- Organizing and preparing materials for informational and training workshops
- Assisting in the development of strategy and program documents
- Assisting in the development of communication materials
- Various other duties as assigned
- Currently enrolled or recently graduated from a graduate degree program in a relevant field
- Demonstrated understanding of current concepts in climate change
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to independently conduct research and analyze data
- Flexibility and capacity to adapt to the needs that arise
- Ability to work both in a team setting and independently
- Demonstrated initiative and problem solving skills
- Spanish language skills
- Interest in tropical forest countries
- Interest and/or experience in environmental advocacy
July-August 2011, full-time preferred (part-time negotiable)
UNPAID position; academic credit offered.
Interested applicants should apply by forwarding a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please reference “Mexico REDD+ Policy Internship” in the email subject line.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer.