From offices in the UK and Africa ClimateCare works with businesses, governments and civil society to deliver integrated Climate+Care programmes which protect the environment and improve lives.
Our unique combination of project development experience and financial expertise is built over 19 years and coupled with a focus on delivering robust, measurable results. To date, we have deployed over $100 million to deliver social and environmental impacts. We’ve already improved the lives of over 6 million people, reduced 16.5 million tonnes of CO2, and set an ambitious vision for 2020. Find out more at www.climatecare.org
CARBON PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT
A core part of many successful companies’ sustainability strategy continues to be the reduction of carbon emissions and also further voluntary investment into carbon reducing projects elsewhere to compensate for their emissions. ClimateCare manages this process, helping businesses contribute to a wide array of low carbon projects in the developing world.
Our clients have diverse and specific preferences for the low carbon projects in which they invest or support, typically requiring a portfolio of several projects. In order to ensure ClimateCare can always deliver against the required carbon and environmental/development outcomes of our clients’ programmes, the Portfolio team must always have access to new projects and programmes.
The team works with our extensive network of project partners and suppliers to fulfil these portfolio elements via the purchase of voluntary carbon credits. We also work with other market intermediaries to sell our exclusive partner projects to the wholesale market.
We are a small team, but pivotal to the fulfilment of the carbon side of the business.
Portfolio Manager – Job Specification
A rare opportunity has arisen for an outstanding individual in ClimateCare’s Portfolio Team:
This senior voluntary portfolio position is a pivotal role, sitting in between the projects and carbon supply market and business clients. It is a highly accountable management role, covering client portfolios and fulfilment, and our wholesale business. Reporting into the Financial Director, and responsible for the work of the voluntary client portfolio team.
Key responsibilities will include:
Generate wholesale transactions
- Generate and implement a proactive wholesale strategy, building and maintaining good relationships with wholesale market buyers to meet business targets
- Respond quickly to wholesale pricing requests and oversee fulfilment of sales
- Identify and pursue new wholesale opportunities, structuring deals appropriately
Create new portfolios for prospects and existing clients
- Accountability for production of all carbon or other environmental project or portfolio proposals to deadlines, following briefs or specifications and working with the business development & client management teams to agree the most effective sourcing strategy
- Price proposals for all client options and portfolios weighing up specific client portfolio and financial requirements with the long term goals of their portfolio and the benefit to ClimateCare
- Source project credits from existing ClimateCare partnerships and the wider market
- Working with the Operational Executive, obtain, maintain and manage the flow of all project information required by the wider teams
- Manage portfolio risk for key clients
Control the supply of carbon project credits
- Build and maintain good relationships with key existing and new suppliers/project developers, holding periodic update meetings where required
- Develop an excellent knowledge of current voluntary carbon credit market pricing and supply availability
- Seek new partnership or transactional opportunities to secure supply of the right project credits over the longer term
Trade, transact and manage project credits
- Negotiate with suppliers to generate the best structure and most advantageous pricing
- Take responsibility for the fulfilment of all client portfolios from contracting with the supplier to delivery/retirement of credits.
- Oversee maintenance of the internal trade booking system and ClimateCare’s external carbon registry accounts working with the Operational Executive
- Act as a knowledge hub on market dynamics and pricing, project information and overall market developments
- Commercial or business background
- Track record of prioritising a high workload, with deliverables to different internal teams
- An understanding and some familiarity with voluntary carbon markets and their role in tackling climate change, though in depth projects knowledge is not needed
- Proactive approach
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with capacity to work well as a team and independently
- Ability to manage a high work load effectively, and establish priorities routinely
- Good organisational skills and attention to detail
- Highly numerate with good working excel skills
- Strategic and tactical decision making weighing up financial returns with meeting client requirements and winning tenders
- Ability to generate and maintain excellent and productive external relationships
- Strong negotiation skills
- The ability to input into and drive forward contractual discussions
Share our passion and think you’re the perfect addition to our team? Send us your CV and a one-page covering letter explaining why you want to join us and why you’re the perfect fit for this role to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you.