SNV, together withWinrock International and Climate Focus is implementing the Lowering Emissions in Asia’s Forests (LEAF) Program,by establishing and/or strengthening policy, institutional and technical capacity building, financing and other core aspects required to ensure the successful implementation of REDD+ in Asia. This five-year regional program supported by USAID aims to strengthen the capacity of six countries (Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia and Papua New Guinea) to achieve meaningful and sustained reductions inGHG emissions from the forestry-land use sector while assisting them in benefiting from the emerging international REDD+ (Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation) framework. The program operates at the national, subnational, and demonstration project levels, and will engage a diverse group of stakeholders, including governmental agencies, private sector companies, civil society and indigenous groups.LEAF employs a regional approach to promote best practices, build technical capacity, facilitate regional platforms for information sharing, and develop scientifically-based forest monitoring systems. Specific focus will be placed on assessing, improving, and implementing REDD+ -related forest policies; improving forest management; and encouraging equitable sharing of REDD+ benefits.
We are seeking a highly qualified international candidate to work as a part of thecore management team to strengthen the policies, legal framework and institutional capacity required to facilitate the implementation of national and subnational REDD+ and advise on the institutional mechanisms and systems necessary to support the field intervention activitiesand on the ground innovations in the six targeted countries. ThisForest Management and Climate Change Technical Advisorwill oversee site specific field projects to assess the feasibility, reliability, replicability, scalability and cost-effectiveness of technical interventions on REDD+, improved forest management and/ or land-based emission reduction strategies.
Duty station: Bangkok with frequent travel to other countries in Asia
Main duties and responsibilities:
– Provide technical and scientific support and leadership as a subject matter resource for the implementation of innovative field-based pilot projects that demonstrate opportunities for sustainable land management and/or showcase approaches and methodologies for achieving REDD+ objectives.
– Provide technical inputs into all parts of the LEAFprogram, with a focus on showcasing approaches and methodologies for achieving REDD+ objectives and demonstratinginnovations in sustainable land management.
– Help to design the program interventions and provide supervision to field interventionsin each of the countries.
– Liaise closely with the LEAF team onreplicating and scaling-up innovation through regional platforms and partnerships.
– Provide technical inputs and ensure coordination with regional and national partners for building and institutionalization of technical capacity for economic valuation of forest ecosystem services.
– Liaise closely with the Climate Focus team onestablishing policy and market incentives for greenhouse gas reductions and contribute to international, national and regional policy dialogues.
– Manage the technical activities related to design of REDD+ and land-based emission reduction strategies, feasibility analyses of different interventions, implementation of key activities by partners, monitoring and evaluation of implementation, preparation and delivery of reports and other materials.
– Prepare work plans and contribute to execution of work plans by field teams including field visits to ensure progress and amend strategy as needed.
– Report to the Chief of Party and respond to his requests.
– Provide input into all work-plans, progress reports and performance management plans as an integral part of the LEAF team.
– Mobilize additional resources for pilot projects.
– Build partnerships with key donors, government agencies and non-government organizations to help implement projects in-country andrepresent LEAF at key events.
– Maintain networks and manage relationships with partners, policy makers and other stakeholders.
– Prepare reports, memos, presentations, and lessons learned, as needed.
– Master’s Degree in Natural Resource Management, Forestry, Sustainable Development or relevant field.
– Eight years of relevant experience in forestry, forest carbon, REDD+, and/or natural resource management projects.
– Up- to-date knowledge on forest carbon, REDD+, land-based emission reduction strategies and planning, and/or improved forest management.
– Strong leadership qualities and excellent skills in networking with stakeholders and in positioning a demonstration project to catalyse change in national policies and legal frameworks.
– Knowledge of Asia’s forest sector and climate change policies, laws, development and management issues is highly desired.
– Excellent interpersonal skills and English oral andwritten communication skills.
– Strong communication skills, both interpersonal and written, to fulfil the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the contract.
– Comfort with operating in a non-hierarchical and collegial manner.
– Demonstrated and proven record to work in a multidisciplinary team under changeable and complex circumstances.
– Experience in complex international projects in forestry and sustainable livelihoods.
– Experience in Project Cycle Management including financial management.
– Knowledge management and knowledge transferring skills.
– Good computer skills in MS-applications (Word, Excel, Internet, Email, Power Points).
Duration of assignment
SNV offers two-year associate consultancy contract with the possibility of extension and a competitive salary package.
Interested persons should submit their letter of motivation, recent curriculum vitae in English to:
SNV Netherlands Development Organization in Hanoi, Vietnam by E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org August 12, 2011
We would appreciate our internal colleagues to help forward the vacancy text to your professional networks that you think may reach potential candidates.