Jobs with Ecotrust
Ecotrust currently has three (3) job openings.
Ecotrust is dedicated to promoting sustainability for the rain forests of the northwest United States, Canada and Alaska. Ecotrust’s programs and approach are based on the premise that economic, ecological and social equity systems are mutually interdependent: the triple bottom line. Founded in 1991 and based in Portland, Oregon, Ecotrust works in five programmatic areas: Fisheries, Forestry, Native Programs, Food & Farms and Knowledge Systems.
Ecotrust is a casual, team-oriented workplace located in Portland’s historic Pearl District. Compensation commensurate with experience.
Ecotrust is an equal-opportunity employer and seeks to promote diversity through its hiring decisions.
Our mission is to “inspire fresh thinking that creates environmental, social and economic value.” Ecotrust has a twenty-year track record innovating triple bottom line solutions from Alaska to California: saving temperate rainforest watersheds with First Nations communities, creating the world’s first environmental bank, the first LEED Gold historic restoration, and the first ecological forest investment fund. We have published twenty-five books, manage fifteen websites, and maintain a wide range of relations with thousands of donors, businesses, government agencies, and organizations in the northwest region and around the world.
The Director of Communications develops key messages and sets strategic direction, manages the overall Ecotrust brand and oversees a communications team of staff and external contractors.
We are looking for a seasoned professional, one adept at developing and employing strategies across both traditional and emerging media, and able to distill complex messages into compelling stories.
The Director of Communications is responsible for ensuring the overall integrity and reach of the Ecotrust brand. Additionally he/she has oversight responsibility for all aspects of Ecotrust communications activities, including but not limited to: strategic direction, marketing, public relations, writing and creative design of Ecotrust publications and collateral material, earned media, social media, and online content. While this position requires oversight responsibilities, this is also a hands-on role, and will include: developing key messages; results analysis; training staff, preparing remarks, backgrounders and scripts for management team of Ecotrust; media outreach and management; participating in a team-based environment; and providing support and counsel for programs across the organization.
Specific duties include:
- Work with internal staff and consultants to develop and execute brand discipline and a strategic communications program that enhances the visibility of Ecotrust as innovator
- Manage all aspects of executing Ecotrust’s communications strategy
- Oversee the development of a compelling suite of collateral materials for the organization and its programs, ensuring complex issues are appropriately synthesized for multiple audiences
- Maintain a media and events calendar, serve as the front line responder to all media inquiries, work with PR professionals as necessary to increase Ecotrust’s exposure in mainstream and non-mainstream media channels
- Gain recognition for Ecotrust’s many activities across multiple platforms and with diverse audiences
- Support organizational fundraising efforts by increasing the positive perception of Ecotrust within the donor community
- Manage contractors and a staff of writers, graphic designers, videographers, and new media practitioners to meet the communications needs of the organization
To succeed in this challenging role, you must have:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, writing, public relations, marketing or a related field.
- 10–15 years of experience and a proven track record of accomplishment in communications and branding
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience in working in Ecotrust’s core values areas of ecology, economy, and social equity
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Demonstrated success in the development, management and implementation of communications strategies, including local and national press, and new media
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple priorities effectively, assimilate information quickly, analyze problems and implement appropriate solutions is required managing a team of staff and contract designers, copy writers, and PR professionals
- Demonstrated understanding of strategic planning, positioning, building brands and partnerships
- Exceptional interpersonal, project management, multi-tasking and written and oral communication skills, including an emphasis on feature writing
- Desire and proven ability to work in an intense, results-oriented environment
- Ability to work independently and develop a high-functioning communications team
- Tolerance for ambiguity
The position is full-time. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience, excellent benefits package including retirement plan match, medical and dental insurance, flexible spending account; life insurance and disability coverage provided.
Please send your cover letter, résumé, Ecotrust application (available on Ecotrust’s web site) and a writing sample to:
721 NW 9th Avenue, Ste. 200
Portland, OR 97209
Or electronically to: jobs AT ecotrust DOT org
DEADLINE for submission is 5pm Friday, April 29th, 2011
Please, no phone calls.
Job Title: Systems Technician
Reports to: Network Administrator
Start date: Immediately
Status: Part-time (approximately 16 hours/week)
Location: Pearl District in Portland, Oregon
Ecotrust’s mission is to inspire fresh thinking that creates economic opportunity, social equity and environmental well-being. Ecotrust is headquartered in Portland and is a unique organization; it integrates public and private purpose and for-profit and non-profit structures.
Ecotrust has a constant need to build & outfit new laptop and desktop computer systems as well as re-format & re-build existing systems. All workstations at Ecotrust are configured with a standardized set of software packages. Some installs are automated but many must be done by hand. As we move from Windows XP Pro to Windows 7, every computer in the organization will need to be upgraded. We’re looking for someone to help us with this both this transition and regular system builds. Payment will be on an hourly basis. System builds will need to be completed in a timely fashion.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Partition hard drives, install Windows operating systems, install drivers, & install specified software packages on new and existing workstations as necessary.
- Complete necessary paperwork for new system builds.
- Enter information into the asset tracking database.
- Maintain & update inventory asset tracking database.
- Track licenses on hand for software packages and notify administration staff when more software licenses need to be purchased.
- At least 1 year of professional experience as a PC Technician
- Significant experience installing PC operating systems, drivers, & software
- Demonstrated computer hardware & software troubleshooting abilities
- Bonus skills: experience with Windows domains, Active Directory, & Group Policy
This is a part time position, paid hourly & does not include benefits.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, résumé, & the standard Ecotrust employment application (available on Ecotrust’s web site) to:
Marcus Hecht, Network Administrator
721 NW 9th Avenue, Suite 200
Portland, OR 97209
Or electronically to: systems-tech AT ecotrust DOT org
Please, no phone calls or drop-ins.
Ecotrust’s Development Associate supports the development department by managing Ecotrust’s donor relationship database; maintaining and updating all electronic and hard files associated with the development process including, but not limited to, correspondence with donors, new and updated constituent information and grant proposal and reporting deadlines; and maintaining press clippings and publications. In addition, this person will be responsible for tracking and reporting on action tasks and deadlines, editing donor communications and supporting the creation of cohesive, integrative and compelling communications required for successful development efforts.
The successful candidate for this position must be detail oriented, organized and able to work independently. Proficiency with Raiser’s Edge, or other similar fundraising databases, is required; experience with Crystal Reports is highly desirable. In addition, experience in an office environment with administrative duties and a high proficiency with MS Word, Excel and Outlook is required..
Roles and Responsibilities
Donor Stewardship and Development Coordination — As a member of the Ecotrust development team, the Development Associate will support the department and manage the upkeep of donor records.
- Maintain and update the Raiser’s Edge database with donation information and prospecting information
- Manage the maintenance of database records, ensuring the accuracy of all information, including but not limited to, contact information, constituent codes and donor attributes
- Create and update queries and reports for procedures including, but not limited to, the contact management system, action tasks and deadlines, appeals and other donor communications
- Create donor acknowledgement letters, process donations and ensure that donors are acknowledged correctly and promptly
- Assist with other fundraising and development projects as requested
- Oversee all gift processing and reconcile gift records at least monthly with the finance department
- Maintain and update development’s electronic and hard files
- Work with the communications staff and the program areas to maintain the press clipping files for development and program use
- Assist with donor and prospective donor relations, including responding to phone and email inquiries and supporting events
- Provide support, as needed, for grant proposals and reports, including gathering attachments, proof-reading and editing documents
- Oversee, with the development team, the annual appeal process and execute other donor communications
- Assist other support staff as assigned, including covering reception, and maintaining the development calendar.
- All other duties as assigned
- Enthusiasm for the mission of Ecotrust
- Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, public relations, communications or a closely related field
- Experience working in deadline-driven environments
- Demonstrated expert skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Minimum two years Raiser’s Edge database experience strongly preferred
- Experience working with Crystal Reports highly desirable
- Excellent understanding of environmental, ecological and conservation issues
- Good team player, flexible work style and excellent interpersonal skills
This position will report to the Director of Development.
The position is full-time. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience, excellent benefits package including retirement plan match, medical and dental insurance, flexible spending account, life insurance and disability coverage provided. Starting salary range: $30,000 – $37,000. Anticipated start date: Monday, June 6, 2011.
Please send your cover letter, résumé and completed Ecotrust application to:
721 NW 9th Avenue, Ste. 200
Portland, OR 97209
Or electronically to: edietrich AT ecotrust DOT org
Only complete applications will be considered.
Please, no phone calls.
DEADLINE for submission is 5pm Friday, April 22, 2011