Created by cities for cities, C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group (C40) advances the climate action agendas of the world’s megacities in order to achieve meaningful reductions of greenhouse gas emissions and climate risks. The C40 consists of 59 engaged megacities globally that are committed to replicable and sustainable climate-related policies locally, which address climate change globally.
Our international staff works with the C40 network under the leadership of city governments to deliver this mission. Using a data-driven approach, our team identifies and promotes exchange of proven programs and policies developed by cities; provides world-class research, technical expertise and access to key partners to deliver new programs and policies with cities; and communicates cities’ individual achievements and collective leadership.
The current chair of the C40 is New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, who – with the support of the C40 Executive Team — guides the work of the C40, along with the members of the C40 Steering Committee. Current Steering Committee members are: Berlin, Hong Kong, Jakarta, Johannesburg, Los Angeles, London, New York City, Sao Paulo, Seoul and Tokyo.
C40 works in an aligned partnership with the Clinton Climate Initiative (CCI) Cities program, which was started by the William J. Clinton Foundation. This brings significant resources and infrastructure to enhance and accelerate historic activities and positions the combined effort as one of the preeminent climate action organizations in the world.
Research and Development
C40’s research team performs cutting edge analysis on urban sustainability and serves as the leading authority on the impact that the world’s cities have on global climate change.
The C40’s Director, Research Projects will perform analysis on urban sustainability and help develop common global metrics for measuring the action and impact the world’s megacities are having on climate change.
We are looking for a motivated, self-starter who has the ability to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and will enjoy working in a virtual but collaborative environment. She/he will possess excellent interpersonal, organizational and written/oral communication skills. Candidates must be tech-savvy and have proficiency with databases as well as working knowledge of listservs, blogs and social media platforms. Successful candidates must have significant prior experience managing complex research projects.
• Assist Director of Research in developing and implementing the C40’s research agenda and strategy
• Manage data collection, maintenance, analysis and storage, including validating data sources and integrating multiple, large datasets
• Perform primary research related to city-level climate actions, impacts and co-benefits
• Lead efforts to standardize quantification approaches for city-level GHG emissions and climate risks
• Build and maintain an online platform for storing and sharing data and analysis
• Identify, troubleshoot, and resolve data quality issues
• Identify and execute QA/QC processes as needed (including training or delegating other staff to help with QA/QC)
• Develop in-depth understanding of city climate impacts data in aggregate, as well as at the regional and local level
• Effectively and clearly communicate findings through visualizations and written reports for multiple audiences
• 2-3 years data analysis, knowledge management and/or monitoring and evaluation experience particularly in qualitative and quantitative data collection and management
• Experience using data to inform strategic decision-making
• Strong, solution-oriented understanding of how to manage large complex data sets
• Strong team-working skills – able to work effectively as a member of C40’s extended internal team and external partners
• Strong written and verbal communications skills
• Ability to utilize data to lead strategic discussions to help facilitate action
• Technical background in climate change or sustainability preferred
• Extensive experience using Excel, Access and/or other database applications
• Strong English language skills required, as well as fluency in another language preferred
Ideally, candidates will also possess:
• Experience working with or within municipal government(s), with principals/senior officials and environmental teams preferred
• Proficient in developing and/or automating data management processes, codes and documentation
• Knowledge of cross-disciplinary or non-traditional data mining techniques
• Masters in relevant discipline; MS; MBA; MPP preferred
This key organizational position is a critical element in the C40 management structure. Director, Research Projects will work closely to share data and learnings from across C40 regions and initiatives/networks and work collaboratively to ensure the C40 operates in a cohesive and strategic manner.
The position reports to the Director, Research who sits on the C40 Executive Team.
Interested applicants should submit curriculum vitae and cover letter to email@example.com.
For more information on the C40, please visit www.C40.org and follow us on Twitter @C40cities.