The Director of Climate Strategy is a senior position within the American Carbon Registry (ACR), leading the investigation and analysis of new opportunities for ACR in the context of emerging climate policies and markets and the development of strategies, partnerships and funding to engage in these markets.
ACR has over two decades of operational experience in the development of science-based GHG accounting methodologies, oversight of the registration and verification of offset projects and the operation of a transparent registry system to track the issuance and retirement of serialized emissions reductions. ACR’s core knowledge, expertise, IP and infrastructure can be leveraged for emerging markets for climate services.
- Lead the development of ACR’s strategic business opportunities including market and gap analysis, target clients, and business model(s).
- Identify strategic partnerships, product and service offerings for new target markets.
- Engage and collaborate with key partners, including relevant market participants, business leaders, NGOs, industry associations and funders to directly support ACR’s success in new markets.
- Manage related product and service IP (legal registrations of marks and brands).
- Develop communications and outreach materials for target market constituencies.
- Contribute to successful fundraising to venture and philanthropic funders.
- Map the piloting and implementation of strategies including technology development needs.
- Represent ACR at conferences, workshops and webinars as well as to key stakeholders and partners.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND
Education: Master’s degree or PhD in Environment, Energy, Public Affairs, Economics or other relevant field
- At least 15 years of experience in environmental markets including carbon, climate change, sustainable supply chains, and related fields
- Must be highly knowledgeable regarding carbon markets and international climate policy and climate finance
- Demonstrated experience in implementation of strategic business planning and development, including fundraising, in the carbon market or a related sector
- Networks with corporations, NGOs and institutions engaged in climate finance and climate policy
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and inspire team members
- Strong analytic, marketing, writing and communication skills
- Experience in effective lead generation and business development skills
- Demonstration of high level of client service including thorough and timely responses to client and partner enquiries
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to manage work flow effectively, to manage teams and to track and meet deadlines for multiple activities and clients
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required. Fluency in one or more additional languages is preferred
- Must be available to travel domestically and internationally for short-term assignments.
- Must not require sponsorship to work in the U.S.
- May be located in Arlington, VA, Sacramento, CA, Little Rock, AR or elsewhere
Read more about the position here.