CDP North America has a tremendous opportunity for a goal-oriented development professional with a desire to focus on philanthropy to advance his or her career alongside CDP North America’s growth. The successful Director will be motivated by the opportunity to participate in building donor relationships and managing internal development operations within a fast-paced organization working at the intersection of financial, business, and environmental issues.
CDP North America, the 2nd largest office in CDP’s global organization, has grown dramatically over the past three years and is seeking an entrepreneurial Development Director to help secure major philanthropic grants. This role will report to the President of CDP North America. Externally, the Director will work with the President to build and manage relationships with foundations and high net worth individuals, as well as supporting organization events. Internally, the Director will build a Development team and collaborate with staff across the organization to build and lead strategies to increase income and meet set targets.
CDP is an international non-profit that drives companies and governments to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions, safeguard water resources and protect forests. Voted number one climate research provider by investors and working with institutional investors with assets of US$100 trillion, we leverage investor and buyer power to motivate companies to disclose and manage their environmental impacts. Over 5,800 companies with some 60% of global market capitalization disclosed environmental data through CDP in 2016. This is in addition to the over 500 cities and 100 states and regions who disclosed, making CDP’s platform one of the richest sources of information globally on how companies and governments are driving environmental change. CDP, formerly Carbon Disclosure Project, is a founding member of the We Mean Business Coalition.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead CDP North America’s development strategy in collaboration with the CDP North America President and Special Advisor in order to identify and build funding opportunities, ideally within the 6-figure range
- Achieve fundraising targets both independently and collaboratively
- Build and oversee a Development team to design, implement and ensure that internal systems and processes are in place to support development activities
- Work both independently and collaboratively with CDP staff to prepare proposals, reports, presentations, and events
- Collaborate with CDP program staff on supporting and developing high-level partnerships and other opportunities for strategic alliances
- Work closely with all teams in CDP North America’s office and the Philanthropy team in CDP’s UK office to create and field a wide variety of development events and activities
Required skills and experience:
- At least 5 years of experience in fundraising for non-profits, particularly in philanthropy
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Flexible approach, with the ability to be successful in both independent and collaborative efforts within a highly entrepreneurial organization
- Demonstrated interest in CDP’s work and issues related to environmental risk, business, and finance
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite: Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Foreign language skills in Spanish, Portuguese, or Mandarin considered a plus
- Ability and willingness to travel as needed
This is a full time role based at CDP North America’s New York office in Manhattan.
Salary and benefits: NGO salary, annual discretionary bonus, excellent health & dental benefits, non-contributory 401k (additional contributory 401k amount optional), 24 days’ vacation annually.
Interested applicants must be eligible to work legally in the US.
To apply please email your CV and a covering letter setting out how you meet the required skills and experience or key responsibilities, which should be no more than two pages, to email@example.com with ‘Development Director’ in the subject.