The Contracts and Finance Specialist provides specialized contract management and finance services to the Global Water business unit.
The Nature Conservancy is the leading conservation organization working to make a positive impact around the world in more than 35 countries, all 50 United States, and your backyard. Founded in 1951, the mission of The Nature Conservancy is to conserve the lands and waters on which all life depends. One of our core values is our commitment to diversity. Therefore we are committed to a globally diverse and culturally competent workforce. Visit www.nature.org/aboutus to learn more.
The Global Water Team is pioneering innovative solutions that will solve water’s diverse set of challenges around water security and river connectivity. Our three strategies, Water Funds, Saving Great Rivers and Community Water Trusts provide practical solutions that can be rapidly brought to scale.
The Contracts & Finance Specialist provides specialized services for contracts and financial activities to support the work of the Global Water Team, colleagues and partners around the world to advance our conservation strategies. S/he is an expert in contract development and management as well as financial tracking and reporting related to contracts, accounts payable, and proposal budgets. S/he administers and maintains finance/accounting activities in accordance with TNC policies and procedures and best practices in financial management.
The Contracts & Finance Specialist reports to the Global Water Finance Manager and is a key member of the Global Water Operations & Finance Team, supporting a geographically dispersed team of 35+ staff. S/he will work closely with Program/Project managers as well as Legal and Finance colleagues.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE:
- Manages contract drafting, review, invoice payments and management processes for Global Water Team
- Coordinates internal resources for all contract related items to ensure compliance with internal procedure and provide information to Global Water staff as needed.
- Performs detailed review and analysis of contracts, invoices, expense reports, and transaction data for the business unit.
- Approves executive level expense reports
- Designs user friendly templates to enhance data consistency and facilitate analysis for decision making.
- Supports financial processes as they relate to contracts and data management for annual budgeting, forecasting, and reporting.
- Ensures coding accuracy and adjusts coding when needed.
- Acts independently on assigned tasks and exercises sound judgement based on analysis and experience.
- Ensures data quality and consistency aligned with business unit goals and TNC.
- Proactively manages day-to-day core tasks and relationships.
- Coordinates and tracks project-level deadlines for financial reporting to include coordination with various operating units.
- Ensures TNC policies and procedures, financial standards and legal requirements are met.
- Reinforces consistency in the organization’s policies and procedures and provides support related to relevant field.
- May manage special projects and/or requests that address key contract or financial issues.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field and 3 years’ related experience or equivalent combination.
- Experience with GAAP and fund accounting principles, practices and regulations.
- Experience using automated accounting systems.
- Experience balancing multiple priorities, manage time and deadlines.
- Experience generating reports, analyzing and interpreting data.
- Experience in manipulating, analyzing and interpreting data. Sophisticated expertise in Microsoft Excel.
- Experience using accounting and financial reporting systems.
- Discretion and sensitivity handling confidential information
- Excellent “customer service” skills and focus.
- Strong interpersonal skills to develop productive working relationships with a wide range of people in an unstructured environment.
- Strong organizational skills, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural experiences appreciated.
- Working knowledge of grants accounting.
- Master’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field.
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills.
- Experience developing and implementing complex projects and strategic initiatives in an unstructured environment.
- Experience designing and implementing data management solutions in an unstructured environment.