The Communications Officer will play an active role to conceptualize, develop, and deliver communications for the CCGGT forest funds and to evaluate results. The Communications Officer will be part of the CCGGT Communications and Knowledge Management team and actively contribute to delivering the CCGGT’s communications strategy in-line with CCGVP direction with a focus on external communications. The selected candidate will need to develop a strong understanding of the work and country programs the CCGGT forest funds support. The selected candidate will serve as liaison between CCGVP and CCGGT teams and ensure alignment of communications strategies and activities. It is expected that the Communications Officer will work 60% for the FCPF and 40% for the BioCF.
The duties will include:
• As part of the CCGGT Communications and Knowledge Management team, conceptualize, develop and implement a strategic and efficient communications program that presents the CCGGT forest funds as key initiatives in international forest climate finance mobilizing and leveraging public and private finance to transform landscapes in developing forested countries.
• Develop stories, in print and multimedia form, that illustrate CCGGT work and its relevance to the climate and sustainable development agenda;
• Launch, together with relevant partners, a series of communications campaigns around new programs and fund achievements targeted to broad audiences (including but not limited to: REDD+ countries, donor countries, private sector, non-governmental and civil society organizations, academia, FCPF Delivery Partners (UNDP, IDB), members of the REDD+ community);
• Prepare and/or oversee the preparation of communications products including but not limited to online feature stories, blog posts, press releases, speeches, media packets, Q&A, posters, brochures, audiovisual materials, etc. Be strategic in delivery of communication products. Initiate and maintain effective professional relationships with key external media constituencies. Ensure coherence and quality to the various communication products developed by CCGGT team and ensure that they adhere to the standards set by CCGVP.
• Seek opportunities, from high level international forums to sector-specific events, to highlight the work of CCGGT;
• Provide strategic communications advice to the CCGGT team and fund managers, helping them ensure that their programs are better understood by key stakeholders and aligned with institutional priorities; Analyze and engages in risk identification and mitigation activities in the context of communication interventions with a focus on public opinion, social and political issues.
• Advise on the content and approach of the various CCGGT websites, online platforms and social media channels, ensuring that they are aligned with the WBG’s communications strategy and web program.
• Assist with branding needs for CCGGT initiatives.
• Measure and evaluate the performance of the various communications activities undertaken by CCGGT forest funds and ensure their relevance as well as their alignment with the business objectives of the CCGVP and the WBG.
• Attend regular planning meetings with CCGVP communications team and ensure good coordination with other major CCGVP launches and roll outs.
• May provide technical coaching to staff members or guidance and support to junior staff.
• The Communications Officer will report to the CCGGT Manager and the CCGVP Communications Manager and be under the day-to-day supervision of the FCPF and BioCF Coordinator.
• Solid understanding of both the World Bank Group and the various key players in the field of development (international organizations, bilateral aid agencies, foundations, etc.).
• Communication in International Development – Very good ability at communicating with internal and external partners, and can articulate their communication needs; solid understanding of relevant international development topics.
• Content Development and Editing – Proficient at drafting and editing complex communications with no supervision. Helps manage the resourcing of content and product development activities.
• Communication / Strategy, Planning, and Execution – Able to support the planning and development of communications strategies, and lead research efforts to map project stakeholders or intended audiences.
• Online Performance Measurement and Impact Analysis – In-depth proficiency sufficient to account for online usage, trends and analysis results; can measure the effectiveness of existing online communications strategies or to design new ones.
• Client Orientation – Takes personal responsibility and accountability for timely response to client queries, requests or needs, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or overall success.
• Drive for Results – Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results, and has the personal organization to do so.
• Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion – Collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team’s work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
• Knowledge, Learning and Communication – Actively seeks knowledge needed to complete assignments and shares knowledge with others, communicating and presenting information in a clear and organized manner.
• Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making – Analyzes facts and data to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others’ work.
• High level of creative energy. Ability to listen and understand others’ perspectives and approaches and adapt one’s own when relevant.
Other Selection Criteria
• Master’s degree in Communications, International Relations Public Affairs, Journalism, Marketing, Information Management or other related disciplines, with a minimum of 5 years’ experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Proven excellent writing and editing skills, with a strong command of English and an ability to convey complex ideas in a clear, direct, and lively style.
• Ability to initiate and manage a continuing editorial process and to conceptualize and execute the online packaging of content.
• Knowledge of climate change mitigation in the land-use sector, including links to development.
• Understanding of project management concepts as they relate to the implementation of complex, multifunctional projects.
• Ability to leverage online communication tools and methodologies (such as online monitoring, web analytics, or other online measurement tools) and to lead research efforts that identify and map project stakeholders or intended audiences, and to develop and analyze online communications performance indicators.
• Experience in multimedia production (videos, photography, slideshows, podcasts) an added advantage.
• Strong diplomatic, interpersonal, and teamwork skills; demonstrated client orientation; sensitized in working in a diverse and multicultural environment.
• Ability to prioritize, work well under pressure and capably handle/juggle multiple tasks within tight deadlines. Experience working with cross-functional teams.
Proficiency in Spanish and/or French an added advantage.