CDP North America, the second largest office in CDP’s global organization, has grown dramatically over the past three years. We are expanding our thought leadership work, helping put vital climate change and natural resource data and insights at the heart of financial decision making. To help maximize the impact and reach of our work, CDP is seeking a Communications Manager to help showcase our strong presence in North America.
- Supporting CDP North America’s media and communications strategy by working with current communications lead;
- Liaise closely with program and operational staff (e.g. insights, corporate disclosure, supply chain, cities, investor initiatives, etc). to cultivate relationships and drive consistent programmatic communications efforts and strategies internally and externally; and
- Coordinate with CDP Global communications team to implement global communications in the US.
- Conduct proactive media outreach and cultivate a network of journalists and editors in major media outlets (broadcast, print, web and social media) to ensure coverage of CDP programs, reports, events, public announcements, and other projects; and
- Manage incoming media inquiries and coordinate with internal CDP personnel to provide appropriate follow up and response.
- Draft press releases, media advisories, Q&A, talking points, statements, as well as other communications documents;
- Work in tandem with CDP team to develop report and thought leadership content and messaging;
- Create and write original content for high quality thought leadership reports, marketing materials, publications, and newsletters targeted to corporations, investors, cities, partners, sponsors, funders, and the general public;
- Assist in event and workshop content development, marketing, communications strategy, and speaker preparation;
- Manage and drive CDP North America’s social media and online presence, including writing blogs and tweeting to engage and inform stakeholders; and
- Manage CDP North America’s website as a tool for promoting CDP programs, opportunities, thought leadership, and events.
- A minimum of a 4 year college degree (preferably a BA in communications or related field) required, Masters a plus;
- Five to seven years of experience in communications/ public relations;
- Existing relationships with key media outlets and strong familiarity with sustainability and business media preferred;
- Proficiency in effectively using social media to build visibility and promote engagement;
- Familiarity with the Cision integrated PR software and media contact database;
- Knowledge of corporate social responsibility, sustainability, ESG, and financial markets;
- Experience in financial and analytical report writing is preferred;
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Excel, Word, Power Point, and Office 365; and
- Familiarity with HTML a plus.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to research, assimilate and analyze information, compose documents, and present data in a clear and concise manner to appropriate personnel, including top management, program staff and external stakeholders;
- Passionate, strong, hands-on writer who effectively understands strategy, including identifying priorities, driving thought leadership content and goals, and ensuring alignment to CDP’s mission and objectives;
- Strong self-motivation and an ability to work effectively under pressure;
- The ability to communicate and liaise confidently with a wide range of audiences and build and maintain relationships (corporations, investors and partner organizations); and
- Mission driven with a strong passion for protecting the environment.
- Compensation and Benefits: CDP offers a competitive NGO salary commensurate with experience and skills, a potential for annual bonus, 24 days of vacation, health and dental insurance, and a non-contributory pension provision after 3 months employment.