Communications Consultancy (Geneva, Switzerland) – UN-REDD Programme
The UN-REDD Programme is the United Nations Collaborative initiative on Reducing Emissions from Deforestation and forest Degradation (REDD) in developing countries. The Programme was launched in September 2008 to assist developing countries prepare and implement national REDD+ strategies, and builds on the convening power and expertise of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). The Programme currently has 46 partner countries spanning Africa, Asia-Pacific and Latin America, of which 16 are receiving support to National Programme activities. The Secretariat of the Programme is located in the International Environment House, Geneva.
Under the supervision of the Head of the UN-REDD Secretariat the incumbent will work in collaboration with UN-REDD Programme Communications experts from FAO, UNDP and UNEP. The consultant will play a key role in improving the visibility of the UN-REDD Programme by raising awareness of the UN-REDD Programme internally and externally. He/She will be responsible for sourcing, writing and editing new content/articles for the UN-REDD Programme website e-Newsletter, relevant publications, and undertake evaluation of the communication and outreach strategies and make recommendations.
- A minimum of five years of work experience in planning, implementing and evaluating comprehensive communication programs.
- Highly developed communications skills (spoken and written) in English, with the ability to originate, solicit, write and edit complex and/or sensitive materials for distribution to target audiences. Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an asset.
- Proven ability to provide professional communications consultations.
- Experience in website and social media management.
- Proven ability to work and deliver to tight deadlines, and handle concurrent projects.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of colleagues and external partners to achieve organizational goals with a strong client service approach.
- Advanced university degree in Journalism, Communications or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced degree.
- Knowledge of REDD+ and/or climate change issues and their communications networks is an asset.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and completed UNEP P11 form to the Secretariat at email@example.com by 31 December 2012. The title on the email application should be shown clearly as ‘Communications Consultancy Vacancy’.