Based in Cambridge, Climate Strategies is an academic network organisation that acts as a bridge between policy research and its application to international policy challenges in climate change. Our core capacity is to convene international research projects and to give them impact in the international and business communities. We are now looking to make the appointment of a full time Research Director based in Cambridge, UK. Our core stakeholders are senior International government officials, policy negotiators and global organisations such as the United Nations. We convene, rather than conduct our own research, having worked with over 50 Universities and research institutions producing over 70 publications in our short lifesince 2007. Our core area of research is the field of applied policy research (Climate Policy economics), feeding into the UN track negotiations and beyond.
Candidate Profile: At minimum Phd qualified, a suitable candidate will have 10 to 15 years in-depth experience of both managing and commissioning a portfolio of climate policy related research focused within the EU (experience of other major / emerging economies also valuable providing there is a core recent EU record of experience). The candidate will also have a demonstrable track record in bridging the gap between academia and policy makers, experienced in a high level dissemination of policy relevant research to high level government officials and international policy makers. A domestic experience only would not qualify in this regard. Experienced operating at board level, with strong interpersonal and presentation skills of the highest order.
In addition, the candidate will have:
* Demonstrable experience of engaging with senior researchers at international level across a range of collaborating research institutions
* Proven ability to both independently summarise core developments, communicate relevant findings in synthesised reports and provide high level cross cutting analysis of the research portfolio is essential
* Degree of intellectual authority with researchers, so as to credibly chair a committee of leading academics from an international community of world class academic and research institutions
* Applicants should be comfortable with intellectual content and have experience with international carbon markets and negotiation processes.
* A background in academia, research, or government is essential.
The role: The Research Director will “own” the Research Portfolio,recommending content to the board and commissioning the research in the fieldof applied policy research (Climate Policy economics)
* Establishing systems for intellectual quality control
* Supervising the content of the organisation’s publications, including written materials and presentations
* Assisting in fund-raising from a content perspective – i.e. supports discussions with potential funders where content expertise is required.
Applications accepted for fulltime only applications, with ability to be based in our Cambridge office. No relocation allowance available.