The Chief Technical Officer (CTO) will oversee the ACR registration of California compliance and early action offset projects from listing through verification and offset issuance. The CTO is also responsible for ACR’s voluntary offset project registration as well as overseeing the development and/or approval of new carbon offset standards, methodologies and tools.
- In coordination with ACR’s California Director and Director of Business Development, develop and implement ACR’s business plan, positioning ACR as the preeminent offset project registry and the “go-to” technical resource for market participants in California and voluntary markets
- Manage a team that ensures quality and integrity of all offsets issued by ACR through effective technical oversight and leadership for the offset project listing, verification, and issuance of credits to California compliance and early action projects and ACR voluntary market projects
- Obtain ARB accreditation in all current ARB offset protocols, including US Forests, Urban Forests, Ozone-Depleting Substances, and Livestock, as well as new protocols (Mine Methane Capture and Rice Cultivation protocols are expected to be approved in 2013 and 2014)
- Serve as ACR’s technical lead for California US Forests projects
- Manage a team that responds to technical requests from ACR clients (including ARB, project developers, verifiers, etc.) for questions related to ARB compliance protocols & ACR voluntary methodologies, maintaining ACR’s reputation for technical expertise and responsive customer service
- Manage development and/or approval of ACR carbon offset standards and methodologies by coordinating the work of technical team members, external experts and peer reviewers.
- As needed, secure funding for the preparation, adoption and validation of high quality carbon offset standards and methodologies (current methodologies emphasize agriculture, forestry and land use, but also include some methodologies outside these sectors)
- Work with partners to assist in the implementation of pilot projects testing the application of ACR methodologies (rice, agriculture, wetlands, livestock)
- Represent ACR to key stakeholders (private sector clients, regulators, environmental groups, etc.) and at conferences, workshops and webinars
- Represent ACR to key stakeholder groups such as the Coalition on Agricultural Greenhouse Gases (C-AGG), Business Council for Sustainable Energy (BCSE), International Emissions Trading Association (IETA), American National Standards Institute (ANSI), and UNFCCC
- A graduate degree in Environment, Forestry, Energy, Natural Resources, Engineering, Physical Sciences or other relevant field (or equivalent education and experience)
- At least 10 years of experience with environmental markets including climate change, energy, natural resources, industrial processes, or related fields
- At least five years of relevant carbon market experience including technical knowledge and understanding of carbon offset accounting methodologies / protocols, as well as experience with fundamental GHG accounting principles, including verification and auditing standards
- Demonstrated experience in implementation of strategic business in the carbon offset market or a related sector
- Strong forest carbon technical background as well as experience in the implementation of forestry and agricultural GHG emission reduction accounting / projects
- Solid understanding of the fundamentals of the California and voluntary carbon markets
- Candidates who have completed ARB training and passed exams in one or more of the compliance protocols are preferred
- Networks in California, EPA, private and non-profit organizations working on climate change are desired
- Team management experience and a demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, and inspire team members
- Strong knowledge and technical skills in GHG emissions accounting, especially with forestry and land use carbon methodologies
- Ability to manage work flow effectively, to manage teams and to track and meet deadlines for multiple activities and clients
- Demonstration of high level of client service including thorough and timely responses to client and partner enquiries
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required. Fluency in one or more additional languages is an asset
Position open until filled. Apply online at Winrock International.
Read more about the position here.