Job Reference LHR196034
Location HR-Heathrow Airport
Organisation BAA Airports Ltd
Business Area Strategic Planning
Contract Type Permanent
Job Purpose and Scope
* To act as Heathrow’s lead technical expert on low-carbon energy and carbon management, working with the Head of Climate Change and Environment Strategy to develop and implement the airport’s 2020 strategy to reduce CO2 from energy and support Heathrow’s wider carbon management strategy
* Work with the Head of Climate Change and Environment Strategy to develop Heathrow’s strategy on climate change and energy, setting long-term goals and how to achieve them, including identifying appropriate capital investment requirements. (NB 2020 goal to cut CO2 from energy by 34% already agreed; goals for aircraft on the ground and surface access under development)
* Work with the Head of Climate Change and Environment Strategy to develop a framework and metrics to translate the climate change and energy strategy to operational delivery, developing and motivating a ‘community of practice’ (including the environmental management team, business units and functions) and supporting Heathrow-wide programmes of activity
* Act as the focal point for specialist energy and climate policy interpretation and technical advice (including measurement, management and mitigation), keeping up to date with external policy, best practice and technological developments, anticipating risks and opportunities
* Act as the ‘guardian’ for the published 2020 energy strategy, monitoring progress in delivering the strategy, identifying emerging risks and opportunities and updating the strategy as needed, working with the engineering, capital projects and procurement teams
* Use technical expertise and professional judgement to forecast energy consumption and CO2 emissions related to Heathrow’s business over a 3 to 10 year time horizon, researching best practice externally and updating and improving the methodology as appropriate
* Ensure the cost-effective and efficient development and implementation of carbon footprinting, continuously improving the accuracy and credibility of airport carbon assessments and embedding data gathering within business processes and governance reporting.
* Develop and maintain on-going relationships with key external climate change and energy stakeholders including energy providers and specialists, government policy makers, surface transport providers, airlines and aircraft manufacturers to influence improvements in performance and support achievement of airport objectives, obtain early warning information on key issues and to influence future internal and external policies
Any other duties
* To participate in projects and working parties and to carry out any other duties that may be outside the standard remit for the purpose of personal development, or as may be reasonably required by the Company.
* Responsible for personal and, if applicable, team compliance with Health and Safety, Security and Environment/Sustainable Development Policies, ensuring working practices minimise risk to self, work colleagues, customers, staff and the environment.
* To comply with all legal and statutory obligations applicable to this role
* To ensure that the activities required by the safety, security and environmental/sustainable development management systems are delivered throughout the areas of responsibility of this role.
* To ensure that any systems and procedures introduced by the company are effectively implemented and adhered to.
Qualifications and Experience
* Graduate with technical and or professional qualifications in the field of energy management and strategy development
* Extensive experience of energy forecasting and demand modelling ideally within a complex energy intensive industry
* Experience with energy and carbon management in a commercial setting, ideally within the aviation sector Proven experience in carbon footprinting
* Excellent analytical skills including experience with spread sheets tools Management experience in a large, complex business or similar organisation with a requirement to work across different functions and business units
* Experienced in influencing commercial decisions and outcomes to achieved improved business performance Expert knowledge of energy, including emerging technologies, with good understanding of linkages to waste and water management
* Strong written and verbal communication skills with the relationship management capability to develop credibility as the company’s leading expert in the field
Additional External Information
* Please attach a copy of your current CV when applying for this role
* Closing Date: 9th January 2012
Click here for Additional Information
Please read this before applying
Energy and carbon strategy manager.doc