Forest Trends is an international not-for-profit environmental conservation organization based in Washington, D.C. that works to achieve sustainable forest management and conservation by capturing the value for ecosystem services, and expanding the value of forests and other natural ecosystems to society. The Ecosystem Marketplace is an initiative of Forest Trends that works to link practitioners and decision-makers and advises companies, governments and other NGOs on voluntary carbon/forest carbon market developments, transparency, social and environmental co-benefits and other mechanisms. For more information, visit www.ecosystemmarketplace.com and www.forest-trends.org.
We are seeking a full-time research assistant for the Ecosystem Marketplace Carbon Program. Initially, the work will span a 3-month period, with potential for extension for an additional three months.
About Ecosystem Marketplace’s Carbon Program
Ecosystem Marketplace’s Carbon Program produces a range of qualitative and quantitative analyses of the voluntary and forest carbon markets, as well as a suite of other mechanisms for financing forest conservation. Our products include original news articles, annual marketplace reports, periodic topical reports, news briefs, a resource library and tracking carbon offset projects. Additional activities occasionally include providing specialized market and policy consultative services, leading in-person and remote educational lectures and hosting regional to international events.
Carbon Research Assistant Description:
The Carbon Program research assistant will commit to 35-40 hours per week to support a range of activities under the Ecosystem Marketplace Carbon Markets Program.
Roles and Responsibilities include:
• Story identification and summary writing for weekly news briefs, reaching >10,000 readers;
• Researching carbon news and events to contribute to Ecosystem Marketplace and Forest Carbon Portal website news, feature stories, event listing and other online content platforms;
• Writing articles for publication on the Ecosystem Marketplace website, as desired and required;
• Updating forest carbon project profiles in Ecosystem Marketplace’s Forest Carbon Portal database;
• Compiling data and inputting into Excel spreadsheets and conducting data analysis;
• Basic knowledge of html or familiarity with Content Management Systems;
• Contributing to outreach efforts to gather data and insights relevant to the reports;
• And other tasks that arise.
Skills and Qualifications:
• Graduate degree a plus;
• Interest in conservation finance/payments for ecosystem services and knowledge of the carbon markets or another ecosystem service market; expertise in voluntary and forest carbon markets will be highly regarded;
• Excellent verbal communication skills; comfortable with phone survey outreach;
• Strong understanding and experience with complicated Excel formulas;
• Good writing, verbal communications, research and organizational skills; journalism skills a plus;
• Ability to multi-task and work well in a team environment;
• Ability to commute to Washington, DC office;
• Spanish-language speakers strongly encouraged to apply.
Hourly, negotiable rate based on level of education and experience. Employer benefits are not provided.
FT Office in Washington, D.C.
Submit your resume and a cover letter by March 30th. Early submissions encouraged as the work period will commence in early April. Please send your materials to:
Gloria Gonzalez, News Editor/Program Manager, Ecosystem Marketplace firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ecosystem Marketplace is an initiative of Forest Trends, a Washington D.C.-based international non-profit organization that works to promote the conservation of forested ecosystems and the lives of those who depend on them through markets and payments for ecosystem services.