Under the direction of the Principal Technical Advisor, the main tasks of the position are set out below:
Project Based Carbon Finance
- Develop and maintain tools and procedures addressing the legal aspects of the origination, screening and due diligence of carbon projects, with a focus on carbon markets legal issues. Engage directly and/or assist with the performance by field staff of legal due diligence activities;
- Assist with the carbon markets legal aspects of MDG Carbon’s project development work, including documentation such as PINs and PDDs, as well as CDM/JI rules, procedures and interactions;
- Develop and maintain a suite of UNDP legal agreements regarding carbon projects, including agreements with host countries and project proponents. Provide advice on any UNDP negotiations with counterparties and oversee compliance of these agreements;
- Support MDG Carbon’s assistance to project proponents on their interactions with financial partners, including, where necessary, on the carbon markets legal and deal structuring aspects of any carbon credit purchase or monetization of emission reductions.
Sectoral Approaches and Trading Mechanisms
- Provide input into the broader legal policy aspects of designing sectoral approaches in areas such as: baseline targets; monitoring, reporting and verification; legal preparedness; national legislation and regulation; and linkages to international systems;
- Provide support on the legal aspects of handling emission reductions in the context of sectoral approaches, such as issues of ownership, trading and liabilities related to the exchange of carbon assets;
- Provide support on the carbon markets legal aspects of any UNDP partnerships established to promote sectoral approaches, for example with financial partners, governments and other agencies;
- Keep abreast with policy and legal developments in the carbon markets, including emerging frameworks for Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions (NAMAs) and New Market Mechanisms (NMMs) under the UNFCCC negotiations.
- Provide support on the carbon markets legal aspects of (i) the strategic development of MDG Carbon and (ii) corporate issues and objectives for UNDP;
- Provide training to relevant Head Office, Regional, and Country Office staff as required;
- Present MDG Carbon at carbon markets conferences and industry events on behalf of UNDP;
- Participate in general activities within the MDG Carbon team, and provide support to the Principal Technical Advisor, including assisting in (i) operations, (ii) communications activities, (iii) corporate reporting, (iv) resource mobilization, and (v) budget oversight
- Masters degree or Juris Doctorate in law, international relations, or a closely related field;
- Candidates must be admitted to practice, or equivalent, in a jurisdiction.
- At least five years professional experience or more in the legal field, including relevant and proven expertise in carbon markets law; of which at least two years experience should be in the climate change/carbon practice of an established corporate law firm;
- A thorough understanding of the legal and regulatory international framework governing the compliance carbon markets (including CDM and JI rules);
- Detailed knowledge of industry practice with regard to carbon project actors (project proponents, carbon buyers, consultants) and contractual arrangements;
- Strong understanding of, and ability to implement, contractual documentation governing carbon facilities/funds and international carbon transactions;
- Familiarity with, and the ability to effectively work with, relevant organizations in carbon finance (e.g. UNFCCC, World Bank, IETA, GEF etc);
- Fluency in English is required (written and verbal). Proficiency or working knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.
Read more about the position here.