Vancouver, British Columbia (working from a remote location may be considered but person would need to be based within the Pacific Northwest of North America and periodic extended stays in Vancouver would be required)
Permanent employment position with an initial probationary period
December 31, 2010
The Carbon Forester position assists in determining the feasibility of areas for forest carbon projects, carries out carbon modeling, prepares project documentation, participates in project implementation and advises on carbon science, policy, standards, protocols and methodologies.
- Assess the feasibility of potential forest carbon projects to meet requirements of leading standards and protocols (CAR, VCS, ACR etc).
- Use appropriate models to determine growth and yields and/or biomass and carbon stock changes for all types of forest carbon projects.
- Scope and do feasibility assessments of potential forest carbon projects.
- Carry out field assessments and data acquisition as necessary and/or direct and supervise such related work carried out by other forest professionals and technicians.
- Prepare project documentation for validation/verification.
- Participate in the implementation of forest carbon projects, including working with project partners.
- Provide advice on carbon science and, on ERA’s behalf, input regarding the development of norms, standards, protocols, accreditation standards and the related work of technical advisory groups.
- Other duties as assigned.
BSc and preferably a MSc degree in forestry, knowledge of carbon forestry and offset standards, methodologies and protocols, competency in growth and yield modeling, experience in forest inventories including emphasis on forest sampling plan design, knowledge and/or experience with diverse ecosystems across North America, and a commitment to the philosophy of sustainable forestry.
Applicants must be willing to travel, have excellent oral and written communication skills, be strong in finding creative solutions, able to work in a multicultural environment, be a self-starter, be able to work independently and be fluent in spoken and written English.
Proficiency in Spanish, French and/or German. Familiarity with GIS environments and GPS.
Negotiable, commensurate with experience and education. Benefits are included.
Submit cover letter, resume and salary history and expectations to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants who respond, but only those short-listed will be contacted
It is ERA’s Vision to be an international leader in reversing the trend of ecosystem degradation and overuse. We contribute to a healthier planet through climate mitigation solutions focused on ecosystem restoration, adaptation, enhancement and protection.
ERA’s mission is to implement its climate mitigation solutions in a manner which directly supports community development, while enhancing and sustaining native biodiversity.
The Company’s success will be based upon: experienced management; highly qualified professionals; an established commitment to climate change mitigation and ecological restoration and protection; multi-stakeholder engagement through free, prior and informed consent. As well as sound science; on-the-ground capacity; high standards of validation and verification; strategic partnerships; the production of large volumes of high quality carbon offsets to supply voluntary and regulated markets; and advanced market intelligence and capacity.
In 2004, ERA began restoring degraded old growth rainforest ecosystems in B.C.’s lower mainland. Today ERA works around the world, with forward looking communities, ethical companies and indigenous groups to restore and protect forest ecosystems building local capacities to play a role in climate change mitigation and adaptation.
What We Do
The growing ERA team brings competencies in: engaging communities; carbon sequestration science, and biometrics; carbon finance, law, accounting and program administration; and international and domestic climate policy
ERA provides services in: forest carbon modeling and assessments; forest ecosystem restoration prescription development and program implementation; and engaging and managing third party verification and validation (ISO, CCBA, & VCS).