Date Posted: 07/01/2013
Country Name: Kazakhstan
Organization Name: Ecodit
As a flagship activity of the President’s Global Climate Change Initiative (GCCI) and the Enhancing Capacity for Low Emission Development Strategies (EC-LEDS) program in Kazakhstan, this project will help Kazakhstan achieve long-term, sustained reductions in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions intensity by supporting the government of Kazakhstan (GOKZ) and the business community in implementing GHG-reducing policies and measures, including its Law on Energy Savings and Energy Efficiency (LES) and its GHG emissions trading system (ETS).
The project will help government and businesses administer and comply with policies by: 1) assisting the GOKZ in developing, implementing, and enforcing policies, regulations and procedures to reduce GHG emissions, while strengthening technical and institutional capacities of GOKZ agencies; 2) building the capacity of the business community in Kazakhstan to measure and manage GHG emissions and energy consumption within their operations; and 3) improving university-level training for the next generation of climate and energy professionals in Kazakhstan.
The Carbon Market Specialist will be the lead technical expert for support to the GOKZ and regulated community on the ETS. S/he will be responsible for guiding implementation of the following tasks:
- Improving the capacity of the GOKZ to implement and enforce the ETS and other GHG-reducing policies and measures
- Improving corporate-level GHG and energy data measurement, reporting, and verification
- Improving corporate capacity to assess, develop, and implement GHG-reducing measures within operations
- Strengthening the capacity of the audit and verifier community
- Improving professional education for climate change specialists in Kazakhstan
Applicants should meet the following minimum requirements::
- At least a Master's Degree in an environmental- or climate change-related field, such as public policy, economics, law, science, international cooperation, or international development
- At least 7 years of experience in the design and implementation of carbon market mechanisms, particularly emissions trading systems
- Demonstrated teamwork, cross-cultural, and English language communications skills
The following qualifications are also preferred:
- Familiarity with Kazakhstan's ETS
- Experience with the political, social, and cultural context of Kazakhstan or the former Soviet Union
- Russian language skills
Open until filled.
Read more about the position here