Date Posted: 07/01/2013
Country Name: United Kingdom
Organization Name: Fauna & Flora International
Contact Name: Morse-Jones, Sian
FFI is seeking an individual with a thorough understanding of and strong practical experience in ecosystem services valuation to support our developing work on ecosystem services valuation and assessment. The successful applicant will have a strong background in economic valuation techniques, practical experience in implementing projects that capitalize on the emerging tools, technology (valuation methodologies, GIS) and markets for ecosystem services (water, carbon and others) in accordance with international best practice, and will have some familiarity with non-monetary valuation approaches. S/he will have an advanced degree or equivalent level qualification in a relevant discipline and substantial experience in a related role.
Under the management of the Ecosystem Services Specialist, the Ecosystem Services Officer will provide technical input and support on ecosystem services valuation and assessment to a range of biodiversity and ecosystem service projects within FFI and with partner organizations, including major international corporations. S/he will be responsible for coordination and technical input on FFI’s BATBP Aligned Programme project on Valuing Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (VBES).
- Coordination of FFI’s Valuing Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (VBES) project
- Technical Support on Ecosystem Services Assessment and Valuation
- Support the development of tools and guidance linked to ecosystem valuation and payment for ecosystem services, including for the VBES project
- Proven ability to develop and implement ecosystem valuation projects in the field
- Excellent organizational and project management skills including efficient project planning, budgeting, implementation, reporting, monitoring and evaluation
- Ability to provide technical advice to project staff, communicating clearly to those who may not have detailed technical knowledge of the area
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with partner organizations, including governments, national and local NGOs, community groups and businesses
- Ability to organise and facilitate workshops
- Excellent skills in writing reports, analyses, proposals and other materials
- Relevant advanced (MSc or PhD) degree in environmental economics, ecosystem valuation, environmental markets/PES or other relevant field
- An excellent understanding of, and experience in implementing economic valuation techniques, and of ecosystem services
- Three years’ experience of working on environmental issues, in particular ecosystem valuation and biodiversity conservation
- A good understanding of other non-monetary approaches to ecosystem valuation, PES and environmental markets approaches
- Entitlement to work in the UK
- Ability to deal with challenges in a positive way
- Committed to FFI’s mission
- Builds positive personal and organisational relationships
- A team player
The closing date for applications is Thursday 18th July 2013.
Applications, consisting of a covering letter explaining why you are applying for the position and relating your experience and skills to the role, a full CV, and contact details for two referees (who will not be approached without your permission) should be submitted either electronically to Sian.Morse-Jones@fauna-flora.org
or by post to:
Sian Morse-Jones, Ecosystem Service Specialist – Environmental Markets, Fauna & Flora International, 14 Buckingham Street, London, WC2N 6DF.
Please mark your application ‘Ecosystem Services Officer, Environmental Markets’ and indicate in your covering letter where you saw this position advertised.
Read more about the position here