Date Posted: 01/15/2013
Country Name: United Kingdom
Project Officer, Policy Programme (Oxford, England) - Global Canopy Programme
The Global Canopy Programme (GCP) is seeking a Project Officer – Policy Programme, to be based at our Head Office in Oxford. This is an excellent opportunity to work with a pioneering, versatile and dynamic NGO committed to demonstrating new approaches that benefit both forests and people. We gather solid evidence from our global networks of scientists, practitioners, financiers and policy makers and aim to communicate our analysis and findings in simple and creative ways to progress dialogue and action in the real world.
The successful candidate will be responsible for coordinating and implementing research tasks to maintain the REDD Desk, a flagship project within the Policy Programme of the Global Canopy Programme. The REDD Desk (www.theREDDdesk.org
) is an online collaborative platform which provides a comprehensive set of interactive resources on REDD+ and REDD readiness for our global stakeholders, from international policy makers to developing country governments and NGOs. The tasks will focus on conducting primary research on REDD+ and related areas in several developing countries globally, the results of which will be used to publish new countries on the REDD Countries Database. Additional responsibilities include engagement in the on-going development of the REDD Library, REDD Encyclopaedia and other related research areas on tropical deforestation and natural capital. The Project Officer will also support senior staff in the wider development of the Policy Programme, and will report to the Project Manager – Policy Programme. The Project Officer will also be expected to engage with broader research themes within the Policy Programme, under the guidance and direction of both the Head of Policy and the Head of Research, and should be able to translate findings and research on REDD to related areas within the Global Canopy Programme thematic areas.
- REDD+ COUNTRIES DATABASE RESEARCH - Maintain and keep up to date existing REDD+ country profiles on database (www.theredddesk.org/countries), and contribute to the content development of new countries on the platform. This will require excellent organisational, time management and project management skills, as well as research rigour.
- REDD+ RESEARCH– Support the Policy Programme with research related to REDD+ and related areas to a high standard and ensure implementation and the timely delivery of a wide variety of activities related to the REDD Desk. Main tasks will include developing content for new country profiles on the REDD Desk platform, and maintaining and updating existing country profiles.
- INITIATIVE AND INDEPENDENT WORKING – Coordinate and deliver expert desk reviews of information on REDD and confidently plan international research visits to a variety of developing countries to complete research tasks. Must be comfortable with working in such environments, with minimal supervision.
- TASK MANAGEMENT – In addition to research tasks, maintain the REDD Library content and processes, support the design of training sessions and tools for REDD Desk partners and provide support for users and partners. Develop and maintain user guides and T&C for the REDD Desk.
- CREATIVE INSIGHT – Fresh thinking to address the challenges identified in managing the platform. Confidence to express new ideas and an ability to communicate ideas clearly with key audiences, internally and externally. Provide support to the REDD Desk Project Manager and the Head of Policy on policy strategy and delivery.
- ENGAGING NETWORKS – Engage with, follow up and maintain close contact with key REDD Desk networks, and where appropriate establish new networks indeveloping countries. Must be able to maintain and build networks and rapport with partners. Specifically those in the UNFCCC, and our international partners engaged on REDD+, including donors. Candidate will be expected to attend seminars and conferences relevant to GCP themes and strategies.
- FUNDRAISING PROPOSALS – Contribute to relevant fundraising proposals.
KEY SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Fluent spoken and written Spanish
- Relevant degree in environment, climate change, development or similar.
- Minimum of one year’s work experience in the NGO/ environment/ charity sector.
- Good knowledge of one or more of the following priority themes: REDD+, forests andclimate, drivers of tropical deforestation.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, including confidence withpresentations and public speaking.
- Excellent organisational skills, with experience of managing a complex workload ofpriorities with minimal supervision.
- Excellent IT proficiency, including familiarity with web based systems, and basicwebsite management, social media and web based networking.
- Availability for regular international travel.
See the full job announcement here
- MSc degree in environment, climate change, development or similar.
- Experience and confidence with travel, living and working in tropical forest regions.
- Excellent language skills – fluent spoken and/or written French a distinct advantage, with Portuguese also highly valued.
- A research record on topics relevant to GCPs core thematic areas.
Applicants should send their CV and a cover letter, detailing how they meet the essential criteria on the job description, to firstname.lastname@example.org
by the 25th January 2013.