Date Posted: 01/14/2013
Country Name: Thailand
State/Province: Bangkok Metropolis
Technical Program Head (Bangkok) - Asian Development Bank
The Asian Development Bank (ADB) is seeking an energetic and highly motivated individual to lead a dynamic and dedicated team of international and national technical specialists implementing the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) Core Environment Program and Biodiversity Corridors Conservation Initiative (CEP-BCI). The background of the Program and the detailed Terms of Reference for the position are provided below.
The Technical Program Head (TPH) will be responsible for all technical content and the effective and efficient delivery of CEP-BCI. S/he will serve as the Team Leader of consultants engaged by the ADB to coordinate CEP-BCI implementation. The TPH‟s specific responsibilities will include:
Qualifications and Experience
- Chart strategic and operational directives to achieve the CEP-BCI‟s impact, outcome and outputs and guide their implementation through the implementing agencies;
- Assume overall responsibility for developing and implementing CEP-BCI work plans; regular monitoring of the physical and financial progress; and routine reporting to the WGE, ADB and co-financiers;
- Continuously track related development programs with potential to complement CEP-BCI; act as the primary point of contact between CEP-BCI‟s technical team and other partners (i.e., multilateral and bilateral development organizations, academia and research institutes, civil society groups, the private sector) to identify and operationalize synergies and complementary activities between CEP-BCI and their respective programs;
- In coordination with the Finance and Administrative Head of EOC, guide and facilitate the recruitment, management and evaluation of EOC and National Support Unit based consultants and guide them on upgrading their knowledge and operational competencies and skills;
- In coordination with the EOC based Capacity Development Specialist, identify long-, medium- and short-term strategies for the implementing agencies to absorb and institutionalize CEP-BCI‟s technical content and support the development and delivery of related training activities;
- Deepen CEP-BCI‟s engagement with the private sector by identifying and operationalizing strategies to expand partnerships and sustainable financing options for CEP-BCI activities;
- Identify strategic entry points to support strengthening of national and sector planning processes. Provide technical oversight and support to carry economic assessments of ecosystem services values and of natural capital stocks and flows.
- In consultation with the ADB Project Officer, liaise with relevant ADB staff at Headquarters and Resident Missions to broaden and deepen linkages between CEP-BCI and relevant ADB operations, including: the GMS Economic Cooperation Program, the Core Agriculture Support Program, other GMS regional cooperation programs and country operations (associated with agriculture, energy, transport and tourism sectors);
- In coordination with the EOC based Outreach Specialist develop and implement an information and communication strategy for the Program and support the development of knowledge products on CEP-BCI‟s technical content.
Please see the full job announcement here
- An advanced degree (preferably PhD) in development, natural resource economics, environment, or natural resource management.
- At least 10 years of experience (with at least 5 of these in the Asia-Pacific region) designing and implementing environment and natural resource management programs within a multi-sectorial development context at different scales (i.e., regional, national, sub-national). Related work experience in the GMS countries will be considered a strong advantage.
- At least 5 years of experience leading/managing large technical programs/teams with an emphasis on results-based monitoring and management. Experience with managing such programs for multi-lateral development banks (World Bank, ADB) will be considered favorably.
- A proven track record of integrating environmental considerations within planning and economic decision-making frameworks, with a particular emphasis on the application of ecosystem assessments and valuations.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to convey technical information to broad audiences.
- Fluency in written and spoken English; a working knowledge of GMS language(s) will be an added advantage.
Applicants should send their CV and cover letter to ADB's Consultant Management System
by Feb 18th