Date Posted: 01/14/2013
Country Name: Thailand
State/Province: Bangkok Metropolis
Biodiversity and Landscape Conservation Specialist (Bangkok) - Asian Development Bank
In 1992, with assistance from the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and building on their shared histories and cultures, the six countries of the GMS launched a program of subregional economic cooperation – the GMS Program – to enhance their economic relations. For the past two decades, the GMS Program has helped increase prosperity in the subregion through investments of more than US$15 billion for roads, airports, railways, hydropower, tourism infrastructure, and urban development.
In response to growing concern about the environmental impacts of rapid economic development, in 2005 the GMS countries lunched Core Environment Program and Biodiversity Conservation Corridor Initiative (CEP-BCI). Administered by ADB and overseen by the environment ministries of the six countries, CEP-BCI aims to achieve “an environmentally friendly and climate resilient GMS Program.” It is coordinated by the Environment Operations Center, which is hosted by ADB’s Thailand Resident
The Biodiversity and Landscape Conservation Specialist will be responsible for implementation of Component 2: Biodiversity Landscapes and Livelihoods. Activities under this component aim to support biodiversity conservation in critical transboundary landscapes within the GMS while also supporting sustainable livelihoods for local communities. Activities include:
Qualifications and Experience
- Improving and updating biodiversity profiles in conservation landscapes;
- Providing economic and other analysis to support the development of value chains of ecosystem-based goods and services that will promote rural livelihoods;
- Strengthening biodiversity conservation corridor management and monitoring; and
- Improving compliance with multilateral environmental agreements on the movement of wildlife, timber, and other natural resources.
See the full job announcement here
- Masters degree or equivalent in environmental sciences or natural resource management.
- At least 10-years of experience in the field of biodiversity and landscape conservation working with country systems;
- At least 5-years of experience of developing and implementing program/projects with a proven track record of designing concepts, writing projects, reporting demonstrating results and tracking project finances. Knowledge of ADB operations and experience with multisector, multi-national and multi-stakeholder programs will be considered a strong advantage;
- At least 5 years of experience in the Asia region working at different scales (i.e. regional, national, and sub-national). Experience working in GMS countries will be considered a strong advantage; and
- High fluency in written and spoken English, excellent communication skills and ability to convey technical information to broad audiences.
Applicants should send their CV and cover letter to ADB's Consultant Management System