Date Posted: 01/14/2013
Country Name: United States of America
Carbon Footprint Internship (Boston, MA) - Appalachian Mountain Club
The Appalachian Mountain Club is seeking an intern to assist AMC’s Green Team with compiling and updating our carbon footprint. Successful candidates will have excellent communication and organizational skills, attention to detail, and enjoy working with people. This full-time internship reports to staff appropriate to the task at hand including the Facilities Coordinator (Boston Office), and members of the Green Team. The AMC Green Team is comprised of key staff whose goal is to reduce the CO2 emissions of AMC facilities and guests.
As a first step the Green Team has been compiling data relevant to calculating our carbon footprint. This data is input to a C02 calculator developed by Clean Air – Cool Planet. The intern would be responsible for collecting relevant data for 2012. The second step is to gather data on specific facility projects that would reduce our footprint. This data is input to a “Solutions Module” on the calculator and will help formulate an AMC climate action plan.
This internship offers a unique opportunity to be involved in the important issues of greenhouse gas emissions and global warming.
- Collect relevant data (utility, gas, propane, travel, etc.) from our accounting department.
- Input data into an existing excel spreadsheets for each AMC location.
- Input spreadsheet data into C02 calculator.
- Work with Accounting staff to streamline the data collection process.
- Collect data on energy reducing projects and input data into the Solutions Module of the CO2 calculator.
See the full job announcement here
- Enrollment in or graduation from an undergraduate degree program in relevant field.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills; ability to effectively communicate with varied groups of individuals.
- Attention to detail and good follow through.
- Problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently but will work closely with the Boston Facilities Coordinator.
- Personal commitment to environmental protection.
Applicants should send their resume and cover letter to Mark Woodward at firstname.lastname@example.org