Date Posted: 01/10/2013
Country Name: Germany
Researcher for International MRV (Berlin, Germany) - Oeko-Institut
The Oeko-Institut is a leading European research and consultancy institution working for a sustainable future. Ever since the institute was founded in 1977, it has striven to build the foundations and forge the strategies needed to make sustainable development happen at all levels - globally, nationally and locally. The key clients are ministries, industrial companies and the European Union. In addition, the institute works for non-governmental organizations and environmental associations. Based at three locations in Germany the institute employs more than 140 staff, including more than 90 researchers.
The Berlin office of the division on energy & climate is seeking a highly motivated, experienced individual for a researcher for international monitoring, reporting and verification (MRV).
- Contribute to improving national greenhouse gas inventories at country and EU level;
- Track the performance of countries and regions in achieving mitigation targets and progress of mitigation actions;
- Analyze deficiencies and shortcomings of existing reporting requirements related to greenhouse gas emissions and removals, mitigation activities, mitigation strategies or climate finance and develop recommendations for improvement;
- Analyze shortcomings and problems of existing review and verification procedures for climate related information and develop ideas and strategies for improvement;
- Develop accounting frameworks and standards at international level for a robust and comparable tracking of emission reductions and mitigation efforts;
- Support Öko-Institut’s work in the negotiations under the UNFCCC and in the development of MRV requirements at EU level;
- Knowledge in the area of monitoring, reporting and verification of greenhouse gas emissions and removals and other climate-related information;
- Experiences with quantitative data analysis and the development and application of tools for such quantitative analysis;
- Knowledge related to legal frameworks for monitoring, reporting and verification of climate-related information;
- University degree in relevant area;
- Relevant professional experiences of at least three years;
- Strong analytical thinking skills coupled with attention to detail;
- Ability to work within a team, but the self-motivation to contribute without excessive supervision;
- After an initial training phase (if required) you are expected to lead projects and contribute to the acquisition of new projects;
- Strong networking and communication skills within the project team and towards clients, ability to communicate technical issues and results in writing;
- Completely fluent in English, at least some German knowledge or commitment to learn German, other languages would be appreciated;
- Flexibility in regards to travelling to meetings, conferences or workshops
See the full job announcement here
Please send your application including CV, personal letter and references combined into one pdf-document to email@example.com by Feb 2.