Date Posted: 01/24/2013
Country Name: United States of America
State/Province: District of Columbia
Ecosystem Marketplace is seeking a paid part-time or full-time Research Assistant for our Carbon Program, to begin mid-February for a four- to six-month commitment. In return for this commitment, the Research Assistant will receive invaluable contacts and experience in liaising with international conservation NGOs, for profits and development multilaterals; executing survey research for an international market report; helping to plan/execute an international report launch event; and recommendations as merited.
For more information about Ecosystem Marketplace, a leading source of information and analysis on environmental markets and payments for ecosystem services, visit www.ecosystemmarketplace.com
About Ecosystem Marketplace’s Carbon Program
Ecosystem Marketplace’s Carbon Program produces a range of qualitative and quantitative analyses on voluntary payments for carbon offset from energy, forestry and other types of projects – and other types of payments for ecosystem services. Our information products range from news articles on policy developments to annual market reports on transaction volumes and values. Along with publishing bi-weekly newsletters on the voluntary and forest carbon markets, we write the annual State of the Voluntary Carbon Markets
and State of the Forest Carbon Markets
In addition to these online references, the Ecosystem Marketplace Carbon Program also works to link market participants with each other and advises companies, governments and other NGOs on carbon markets.
Carbon Program Research Assistant description:
The Research Assistant will be able to commit to approximately 20 (up to 40 as desired) hours per week to support the range of activities under the Ecosystem Marketplace Carbon Markets Program, with a focus on survey outreach for the 2013 State of the Voluntary Carbon Markets report. Research assistant time will likely be divided between carbon markets research (70%) and administrative support (30%).
Responsibilities may include:
- Data collection for the annual State of the Voluntary Carbon Markets report and other carbon publications, involving follow-up with a variety of survey respondents including carbon offset suppliers, exchanges, registries, and standards
- Researching voluntary carbon news and events to contribute to Ecosystem Marketplace website news, feature stories, event listing and blog
- Contributing to updates of Ecosystem Marketplace Marketwatch website sections
- Assisting in development of recently acquired Carbon Catalog website
- Representing the Ecosystem Marketplace Carbon Program at relevant conferences and/or lectures in Washington, DC
- And other tasks that arise
- Upper-level undergraduate or graduate student
- Interest in conservation finance/payments for ecosystem services and basic knowledge of markets for carbon offsets – including but not limited to forest carbon markets
- Excellent writing, research and organizational skills; journalism skills a plus
- Understanding of survey and statistical methods a plus
- Ability to multi-task and work well in a team environment, but also to work well with minimum management
- Experience with client communications/management a plus, comfort with phone call outreach
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Outlook
- Prefer applicants with ability to commute to a Washington, DC Dupont Circle office
Location: Washington, D.C.
Submit: Resume (or CV), cover letter. Writing samples will be requested from final applicant pool.
Ecosystem Marketplace is a project of Forest Trends, a Washington, DC-based international non-profit organization that works to promote the conservation of forested ecosystems and the lives of those who depend on them through markets and payments for ecosystem services.
1203 19th St NW, 4th Fl | Washington, DC 20036 | Tel 202.289.3000 | Fax 202.298.3014