Date Posted: 06/20/2012
Country Name: United States of America
State/Province: District of Columbia
Organization Name: Environmental Defense Fund (EDF)
Natural gas is an important and growing part of our nation's energy portfolio. It emits less greenhouse gases than coal when combusted and avoids mercury and other dangerous air pollutants that come from coal. It could be a win-win, if--and this is a big 'if'--we do it the right way. The “right way” entails putting tough rules in place that lock in mandatory environmental safeguards to protect communities and reduce methane pollution which undermines natural gas' role as a lower carbon alternative to coal and oil. EDF is taking a leading role to ensure that natural gas provides real and sustained carbon benefits without harming the environment or health of the communities where gas development occurs.
Under the direction of the Chief Counsel and the Media Director of the national Energy Program, the Natural Gas Media Director will direct and implement strategic communications plans to advance the goals of EDF's Natural Gas Campaign. An ideal candidate will have a strong knowledge of regulatory, political and campaign strategies along with an interest in energy and air quality issues; and will be a strategic thinker capable of leading national issue messaging decisions. The Media Director will be a key player in EDF's Energy Program and also a pivotal member of EDF's Marketing and Communications team.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with targeted online, print and broadcast journalists, editorial writers and columnists, and other opinion leaders;
- Track and market earned media exposure in specific regions;
- Execute press strategies including press conferences, one-on-one meetings with the media and opinion leaders (i.e. elected officials, appointed officials, etc.), press releases, editorial board meetings, placing and writing opinion editorials, writing and promoting blogs and social media promotion;
- Support the program staff in developing campaign and non-campaign strategies and materials; and
- Develop and execute offline and online strategic communications plans for campaign and program activities;
- Monitor press response to breaking news and legislative events;
- Develop news stories on a systematic basis for feature coverage;
- Cultivate reporter relationships and create and disseminate press materials under deadline pressure;
- In coordination with the regional political director, conduct outreach to local and national environmental groups;
- Promote the leadership of the Natural Gas team in communications outreach;
- Develop and execute long-term strategic communications planning while maintaining an opportunistic approach to daily, breaking news events.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, public relations, communications or marketing; Master's degree is a plus
- A minimum of four years communications experience, preferably in environmental media and/or in a political or issue advocacy context
- Strategic thinking to powerfully and effectively frame issues
- Proficiency with social media tools and outlets required
- Proficiency in Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and Internet required
- Experience working on local and/or statewide press outreach preferred
- Familiarity with cutting-edge communication technologies preferred (e.g., Vocus)
- Superior creative and opportunistic media outreach abilities
- Excellent writing, proofing and editing skills
- Experience managing contractors (i.e. Web and graphic designers, communications consultants, etc.)
- Powerful oral communication and presentation skills
- Ability to adapt to frequent change and prioritize multiple tasks effectively under deadline pressure
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills
Read more about the position here.