Date Posted: 06/06/2012
Country Name: China
Founded in 1991, the Institute for Sustainable Communities (ISC) is a not-for-profit organization that provides technical expertise and leadership training to solve important global issues such as sustainable development, energy efficiency, and environmental protection.
Headquartered in the USA, and with offices in Washington, DC; China and other countries, ISC employs approximately 90 people worldwide. ISC values include a commitment to improving the quality of life and the earth’s ecosystem; maximizing effectiveness through creativity and high quality work; and compassion, honesty and respect toward one another and ISC’s partners.
In China, ISC currently has offices in Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou. More information about ISC’s China programs is available at: http://www.iscchina.org/.
1. Program implementation, oversight and support
- Leads the development of EHS training courses in consultation with Chinese Academy training teams and corporate experts.
- Sets clear standards and guidelines for EHS Academy course content and delivery, and establishes mechanism for regular review and evaluation of same.
- Documents and establishes a recording system for course content.
- Delivers EHS training courses and training of trainers as needed.
- Designs and institutes a system for continuous improvement of the Academy’s EHS curriculum in response to client needs, industry trends, & national/global standards.
- Participates in the development of energy and carbon management courses with Academy training teams and corporate experts.
- Provides lead support to a curriculum review committee, comprised of representatives from the EHS Academies and corporate partners.
- Helps to establish and transfer training courses, best practices, and standards to new Academy initiatives in other Asian countries.
- Assists program directors in identifying and addressing the organizational capacity needs of EHS Academy partners.
- Supports the establishment of professional networking platforms such as a web portal for EHS professionals, and lead peer-to-peer learning initiatives.
- Participates in the development and implementation of a measurement and evaluation program to assess the results and impacts of EHS Academy activities.
- Actively markets and promotes Academy courses and services to prospective clients, and generates new business opportunities.
2. Communication and Representation
- Ensures monitoring and evaluation activities and reporting meet ISC’s standards, and are completed on schedule.
- Contributes to program reports.
- Represents the EHS Academy program to colleagues, external partners, government officials, donors, beneficiaries, and at conferences and other outreach opportunities.
- Regularly apprises project leaders and communications staff of program activities and accomplishments.
- Communicates program activities, challenges and accomplishments to the Director of Asia Programs.
3. Relationship to Team Members
- Reports to the Director of Asia Programs
- Coordinates closely with the China Country Director, the EHSA Program Manager, and an Industry Program Officer on Academy implementation in China.
- Provides support and interacts with the Communications Officer, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, and other key program staff.
- Communicates as needed with ISC Headquarters leadership and support staff.
- Works closely with the EHS Academy Program Manager to coordinate curriculum and organizational capacity building work with Academy partners.
- Manages or assists with the implementation of other EHS and EE training programs implemented by ISC, as needed.
- An advanced degree in environmental science/engineering, industrial/occupational health and safety, engineering or other related degree.
- 10+ years experience managing energy, carbon, and/or environment, health and safety related issues with multinational corporations and/or in Chinese factories.
- Experience in the theory and practice of training, professional and continuing education, and training curriculum development.
- Project management skills with experience managing multiple projects and/or working for an international organization in China.
- A track record that demonstrates energy and creativity, and the ability to successfully prioritize and manage competing priorities.
- Demonstrated success in project planning, program monitoring, report writing, and identifying and procuring technical assistance.
- Strong interpersonal skills and mentoring skills to work effectively with partners/clients.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking and presentation skills.
- Fluency in English or Mandarin required; strong oral and written communication skills in the non-native of these two also required.
Read more about the position here.