Date Posted: 06/06/2012
Country Name: United States of America
Organization Name: Rainforest Alliance
The Carbon Technical Specialist will serve as the RA-Cert auditing and certification division’s global resource for policies, systems, quality monitoring and training for carbon validation and verification services implemented across RA-Cert’s regions and partner organizations. S/he will have oversight of services including maintenance of related accreditations, audit management, auditing, and monitoring of Rainforest Alliance’s global carbon portfolio to ensure consistent implementation of RA-Cert policies and procedures.
Serve as technical expert for carbon services:
- In coordination with the Climate Program, keep current on climate and carbon auditing policy issues as well as new carbon verification methodologies and tools and standards;
- Serve as global resource, including policy interpretation, for RA-Cert regional offices and partners on carbon-related auditing services;
- Develop and maintain RA-Cert policies and procedures, including manuals, templates, and guidance materials; and
- Oversee systems development of new RA-Cert carbon evaluation services.
- Carbon Portfolio Oversight and delivery of regional capacity:
- Support regional management to develop and implement strategies to promote and implement carbon auditing activities and to meet verification targets;
- Coordinate with regional office and partner staff to ensure timely and appropriate actions in response to stakeholder complaints and comments;
- Assist RA-Cert regional and partner staff with carbon audit management including; preparation of forestry carbon project proposals, budgeting, team identification, report writing, technical report review, and finalization of assessments;
- Conduct audits and write reports for carbon validations and verifications in designated regions or for selected clients in coordination with the relevant Regional Manager and/or staff;
- Provide support in the development of local auditor capacity; and
- Provide support in the recruitment of clients, particularly in explaining technical aspects of carbon measurement.
Quality Monitoring and Training:
- Work with the Quality Assurance Manager to develop, implement and maintain quality monitoring system for review of carbon services;
- Monitor auditor performance and overall quality of carbon auditing across all regions through report reviews and witness audits;
- Develop and maintain training modules and tools to improve carbon auditor and staff competency; and
- Deliver training to RA-Cert and partner staff and auditors as necessary.
Liaison with Accreditation Bodies:
- Serve as point person for accreditation audits and enquiries related to carbon services (e.g., ANSI, Verified Carbon Standard; Climate, Community and Biodiversity Alliance (CCBA), Plan Vivo; Climate Action Reserve, CarbonFix Standard, American Carbon Registry);
- Notify RA-Cert and partner staff of necessary accreditation communications, including documents under review, finalized policies, and guidance;
- Represent RA-Cert in technical discussions with climate and GHG entities (e.g., researchers, stakeholders, associations); and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Forestry, Ecology or related Natural Resource field required; Master’s degree or equivalent academic degree strongly preferred;
- Minimum of 5 years, minimum of 2 years of field experience in forestry/related field and in carbon modeling/calculations or carbon standards; experience in REDD project development or evaluation strongly preferred;
- Strong understanding of carbon modeling for forestry and land use projects as well as current AFOLU project methodologies and GHG quantification of forest carbon;
- Experience in developing auditing and certification systems including tools, procedures and manuals as well as training program design;
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook with a working knowledge of PowerPoint;
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills;
- Spanish or French written and verbal proficiency desired;
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple priorities in a time sensitive manner;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to interact culturally, linguistically, and diplomatically with diverse internal and external individuals;
- Initiative, self-motivated, resourceful, and dependable with a strong attention to detail; and
- Ability and willingness to travel a minimum of 25 percent per year, nationally and internationally.
Read more about the position here.