The Water Conservation Specialist plans, develops, and implements water conservation programs to meet water efficiency objectives of the Utilities Water Conservation team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES The following duties and responsibilities are illustrative of the primary functions of this position and are not intended to be all inclusive.
- Researches, develops, coordinates and carries out water efficiency programs.
- May conduct water use audits and analyzes irrigation efficiency, both at customer’s homes and in the commercial sector.
- Develop strategies to engage the business community in water efficiency actions, including changes to behaviors, equipment/appliances, and process water use.
- Implement and monitor specific water conservation measures and monitors compliance with the City’s water conservation goals.
- Provide technical analysis related to the development and evaluation of efficiency programs; Analyze and interpret site and utility data.
- May enforce and investigate violations of the City’s wasting water ordinance.
- Monitors and evaluates trends and innovations in the area of water efficiency; may attend and/or present at seminars and conferences.
- Prepares and disseminates educational and informational materials.
- Prepares and delivers presentations to businesses and the general public.
- Communicate options and value of water efficiency programs to customers.
- Acts as educational resource for State and internal education programs.
- Responds to public inquiries about utility services and programs.
- Collaborate and coordinate with other related outreach efforts within the City.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This position is not responsible for the supervision of City employee(s) and/or volunteers.
QUALIFICATIONS: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the necessary functions of this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of water end-uses, process water use, irrigation practices, xeriscape, and landscape water requirements.
- Advanced computer skills, including word processing, spreadsheet and database applications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to perform commercial and residential water audits.
- Ability to conduct research using reports, journals, and other sources of information.
- Ability to write clear, complete and accurate reports.
- Ability to present clearly to both large and small groups.
- Ability to work effectively on teams.
- Ability to use word processing, database, presentation, financial, spreadsheet and photo editing software.
- Ability to develop easily understood and engaging promotional materials for the public.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff and external customers.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Engineering, Environmental Science, Watershed Science, or related field; three to five years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: Valid driver’s license.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This job is predominantly performed in an office setting. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Full-Time Regular
ANNUAL SALARY RANGE: $48,174.00 – 67,444.00 (Salaries are paid biweekly)
SELECTION PROCESS: Application deadline is 3:00 p.m. MT on 1/13/2017.
You will receive an email acknowledgment when you have successfully submitted an application. Your completed application will be forwarded to the hiring manager. You will be notified if you are selected for further testing or interviews. Please keep your contact information up-to-date. The status of your application will be updated in your applicant profile. Post-offer background check and drug test required.
Why Work For the City of Fort Collins?
– Medical, dental, vision (for self, spouse, children) – eligible on the 1st of the month following 30 days employment
– Paid vacation, paid holidays, and sick days
– Retirement + company matching – after 6 month probation period and immediate vesting
– Flexible spending: Medical expenses FSA, dependent FSA or both
– Employee Assistance Program: counselling, legal, financial assistance
– Life insurance, short-term and long term disability
– Wellness program, workout facilities
– Employee/family Onsite Health Clinic
– Personal & professional learning opportunities including supervisory and leadership development; plus career mobility
– Collaborative work environment