The Rainforest Alliance (RA) is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods by transforming land-use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. Based in New York City, with offices throughout the United States and worldwide, the Rainforest Alliance works with people whose livelihoods depend on the land, helping them transform the way they grow food, harvest wood and host travelers.
The Rainforest Alliance’s TREES (Training, Extension, Enterprises and Sourcing) program promotes sustainable livelihoods and protects biodiversity in forest-dependent communities. We work to enhance the competitiveness of community and indigenous forestry enterprises by building business skills, increasing efficiencies, facilitating investment in value-added processing, expanding income opportunities from wood and non-wood forest products and environmental services, and increasing access to local and global markets through Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certification.
The Projects Administrator will provide financial and contractual oversight for all TREES project work in Mexico, and ensure compliance with finance, contracts and administrative requirements as established by RA Headquarters (HQ) and donor agencies. The Projects Administrator will work under the supervision of the TREES Manager for Mexico, and in coordination with the TREES Field Manager, the TREES Program Administrator, the TREES Projects Manager and the TREES Director to ensure sound financial and administrative management of TREES activities in Mexico.
* Oversee budgeting for all TREES Mexico projects, following both RA internal budget procedures and donor agency norms;
* Support preparation of all budgetary aspects of periodic project work planning exercises;
* Coordinate with TREES Program Administrator based in Guatemala as well as the Budget and Finance team in RA HQ;
* Ensure that funds are used according to RA and donor requirements;
* Manage preparation and tracking of project contractual agreements using appropriate RA templates and in accordance with RA procedures and donor requirements;
* Coordinate with TREES staff in the negotiation and finalization of consulting contracts, subcontracts, subagreements and other contractual agreements, involving TREES HQ staff, Finance and Legal as required;
* Ensure proper review of financial reports submitted by consultants, subcontractors and recipients of subagreements to ensure accuracy and completeness;
* Process TREES payments according to RA policies;
* Monitor all TREES-issued project contractual agreements to ensure compliance with their terms, including deliverables, outputs, and reporting;
* Ensure that all TREES Mexico project activities are carried out following donor guidelines, including compliance with deliverable due dates, procurement requirements, travel guidelines, participant training activities, etc.;
* Coordinate the preparation of periodic financial reports and reimbursement requests to donors in close coordination with the Program Administrator, RA Finance and Project Directors;
* Notify TREES Mexico project staff of any problems or discrepancies and provide assistance to recipients of subagreements in resolving problems;
* Serve as a resource to TREES Mexico project staff for financial and administrative policies;
* Coordinate with the TREES Program Administrator regarding information-sharing; and
* Other duties as assigned.
* Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Marketing, Economics, Accounting or related discipline;
* A minimum of 5 – 7 years experience in budgeting and financial management with 2 years experience in multi-lateral grants/contracts administration, business or project management;
* Proven experience with donor-funded contracts;
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills in Spanish; proficiency in English a major plus;
* Proven ability to work effectively in cross-cultural situations;
* Must have excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office and Internet);
* Excellent organizational skills, ability to work independently as well as in a team environment, assess priorities and multi-task with strong attention to detail;
* Strong analytical skills; and
* Knowledge of legal aspects regarding contracts.