Forest Trends is an international not-for-profit environmental conservation organization based in Washington, D.C. that works to achieve sustainable forest management and conservation by capturing the value for ecosystem services, and expanding the value of forests and other natural ecosystems to society. The Ecosystem Marketplace is an initiative of Forest Trends that works to link practitioners and decision-makers and advises companies, governments and other NGOs on voluntary carbon/forest carbon market developments, transparency, social and environmental co-benefits and other mechanisms. For more information visit www.ecosystemmarketplace.com and www.forest-trends.org.
We are seeking a research assistant for the Supply Change project. Initially, the work will span a 3-month period, with potential for extension for an additional three months. This is a temporary full-time assignment.
About the Supply Change project
As companies commit to reduce the ecological impacts of their commodity supply chains, Supply Change provides transparency to their progress – and tracks commitments that count. The Supply Change project is a transformational resource for businesses, investors, governments, and the civil society organizations that support and hold them accountable; providing real-time information on the extent and value of commitment-driven commodity production and demand.
Supply Change is in its first phase of development. As the markets for these commodities evolve, Supply Change will explore new metrics, new markets, and new means to inform game-changing supply chain solutions. For more information about Supply Change, visit www.Supply-Change.Org.
Supply Change Research Assistant Description:
The Supply Change research assistant will commit to 35-40 hours per week to support a range of activities within Ecosystem Marketplace.
Roles and Responsibilities include:
• Researching public commitments to reduce supply chain impacts on ecosystem degradation, public disclosure statements and other related public reporting;
• Compiling data and inputting into Excel spreadsheets and conducting data analysis;
• Event and news identification for Supply Change web platform and bi-weekly news briefs;
• Assist with research, preparation and analysis of briefing report to be published second half of 2015;
• Conducting stakeholder outreach as desired and required;
• Writing articles for publication on the Ecosystem Marketplace website, as desired and required;
• Providing additional contributions (written, strategic or otherwise) to future research products as desired and required;
• Opportunity to work across Ecosystem Marketplace programs on carbon, and water & biodiversity topics as time permits; and
• other tasks as necessary.
Skills and Qualifications:
• Excellent research, organizational and writing skills;
• Good verbal communication skills; comfort with stakeholder interaction;
• Experience with Excel required, use of complicated formulas preferred;
• Interest in agricultural commodity-related deforestation;
• Familiarity with corporate sustainability issues a plus;
• Ability to multi-task and work well in a team environment;
• Ability to commute to Washington, DC office.
Hourly, negotiable rate based on level of education and experience. Employer benefits are not provided.
Forest Trends office in Washington, D.C.
Submit your resume and a cover letter by June 30th. Early submissions encouraged as the work period will commence in early July. Please send your materials to:
Ben McCarthy, Program Associate, email@example.com
Ecosystem Marketplace is an initiative of Forest Trends, a Washington DC-based international non-profit organization that works to promote the conservation of forested ecosystems and the lives of those who depend on them through markets and payments for ecosystem services.