Job Title: Senior Program Officer
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Start Date: Immediately
Reporting to: Program Manager
Background on the VCS Association
The Verified Carbon Standard (VCS) and the associated VCS Program were launched in November 2007 and are now well established among the leading global greenhouse gas (GHG) standards and programs in the voluntary carbon market. Our primary objective is to bring standardization, transparency and credibility to the voluntary carbon market. Increasingly, we are generating lessons and providing inputs for compliance regimes emerging worldwide.
The VCSA is looking for a Senior Program Officer to oversee validation/verification bodies (VVBs) working under the VCS Program.
Principal tasks and responsibilities will include, at a minimum, the following:
- Provide guidance and support to VVBs, including updating the VVB portal, organizing webinars for VVBs and providing clarifications to VVBs on VCS rules as needed.
- Finalize the VCS Manual for VVBs and update it periodically as needed.
- Finalize and implement the VCS VVB oversight procedures, and update them periodically as needed.
- Liaise closely with accreditation bodies such as ANSI on accreditation policy, accreditation applications and VVB oversight, including participation in oversight committees and attendance of witness audits.
- Further relationships with member bodies on the International Accreditation Forum and establish new VCS accreditation programs in countries of strategic interest to the VCS.
- Manage applications from VVBs seeking approval under the VCS Program.
- Oversee the management and tracking of all methodologies under development.
- Participate in conferences and other industry events.
- Assist in other parts of the organization, as needed.
Required Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- University education, preferably a graduate level education in environmental sciences or related field.
- Good knowledge of GHG concepts, particularly with respect to monitoring, reporting, validation and verification.
- At least five years of relevant work experience in carbon markets, preferably working for or with VVBs or similar entities under other GHG programs and in particular the CDM.
- Fluency in English is essential; another language would be considered an asset.
- Strong familiarly with Microsoft Office software is essential, and experience working with project management tools is desirable.
- Sharp analytical mind, with excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task on issues of substance.
- Ability to work independently and on own initiative.
- Professional approach and demeanor.
- Good organizational, communication, interpersonal and team skills.
Terms and Conditions
A competitive salary is available and other terms and conditions will be discussed during the application process. Preference will be given to applicants that are eligible to work in the US (US citizen or currently holding authorization to work in the US).
In order to streamline the application process, applicants are requested to submit the following documents:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page).
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages).
- A short writing sample (maximum 500 words) outlining how the VCS Program can improve quality assurance for carbon credits.
All documents must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business 30 March 2012. Interviews will be held in April.
More information here.